Which barrel?

Which barrel maker for custom 8mm high-performance build ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I've had a few PacNor barrels over the years and they've all shot very well. From the list, if I was choosing, I'd go with them or Lilja. Lilja seems to have a good reputation for producing quality barrels from the things I've read.

I'm looking at producing potentially the first new 8mm cartridge in the last 20 or 21 years. Problem is your major competition barrel makers don't offer an 8mm blank. Here are the manufacturers I know of that produce an 8mm blank: Pac-Nor, Lilja, Douglas, Shilen, Lothar Walther, Preferred Barrel Blanks (Wilson?), Shaw, and McGowen. I have my preference by process of elimination, but I wanted to ask the congregation to make sure I wasn't overlooking anything or any other maker. None of the elite cut-rifle makers, that I know of, make an 8mm (.323) blank. Not popular enough to waste their time on, and there are no real long-range bullet options that I'm aware of - the 220 grain Sierra GameKing being about the best proposition of the bunch. If I'm dead set on producing this cartridge, which blank should I use for best accuracy at distances as long as it's capable of reaching (beyond 500 yds).
I prefer Bartlein, Krieger, and Brux. Those are the one I have currently besides factory barrels. I've had others in the past, including MGM (preferred bbl blanks before they were a thing - those were not consistent for me).

My Bartlein, Krieger and Brux barrels are shooters.

After re-reading the op 🙄, I'll add the following: of the ones you've listed, I'd pick one that is handlapped.

Last edited:
I prefer Bartlein, Krieger, and Brux. Those are the one I have currently besides factory barrels. I've had others in the past, including MGM (preferred bbl blanks before they were a thing - those were not consistent for me).

My Bartlein, Krieger and Brux barrels are shooters.
I believe the OP states in post#1 those 3 don't make a 8mm barrel. If they do any of those 3 are great.

Last edited:
I'm looking at producing potentially the first new 8mm cartridge in the last 20 or 21 years. Problem is your major competition barrel makers don't offer an 8mm blank. Here are the manufacturers I know of that produce an 8mm blank: Pac-Nor, Lilja, Douglas, Shilen, Lothar Walther, Preferred Barrel Blanks (Wilson?), Shaw, and McGowen. I have my preference by process of elimination, but I wanted to ask the congregation to make sure I wasn't overlooking anything or any other maker. None of the elite cut-rifle makers, that I know of, make an 8mm (.323) blank. Not popular enough to waste their time on, and there are no real long-range bullet options that I'm aware of - the 220 grain Sierra GameKing being about the best proposition of the bunch. If I'm dead set on producing this cartridge, which blank should I use for best accuracy at distances as long as it's capable of reaching (beyond 500 yds).
Bench Mark

I found these guys when I was looking for a 8mm barrel. They will do a tight twist for you if that's what your looking for. I've never used them though so I don't know how they are.

And you have to call and ask but badlands does make a heavy mono for 8mm as well.
View attachment 495415
I have 3 KS Barrels. Absolutely excellent barrels, cut rifled and hand lapped. I had them chamber and install them as they are in Edmonton where I am. Tremendous quality control and very high quality work. One barrel they did was a 338-378 Mounted on a LH MK V action. Barrel was finished to the exact contour of the old one, high gloss blued, 3 leaf express sights, Ramp and hooded front sight, and a matching muzzle brake. Custom recoil lug, glass bedded and they also fixed the feeding so it chambers smooth a silk. Absolutely beautiful work.

Double click picture to expand it.

1695225151665.jpeg

1695227123436.png

I have Douglas, Shilen, Pacnor and Lothar. The KS Arms barrels are as good or better than the top grade barrels from any of them. KS only sells one grade of barrel, anything that doesn't hit max match specifications is scrapped. With the 35% exchange rate they are also a whole bunch less expensive. They sell their own actions made in-house, as well as barreled actions and complete rifles. They will ship to the States.

Last edited:
I believe the OP states in post#1 those 3 don't make a 8mm barrel. If they do any of those 3 are great.
I'm pretty sure if the OP called them, they probably do make them, but they aren't extremely common, so they aren't on their drop-down on their website. Personally, I'd go with a Brux or Bartlein, just my preference.

I'll not respond with a vote, as my experience is quite irrelevant! I only have one custom barrel, rifle was built in '89/'90…..a Douglas SS match grade (or whatever term they use)!

Very pleased with the overall performance of the barrel! memtb

Last edited:
I've ordered a bunch of Wilson blanks from Ragged Hole Barrels for guys trying to keep the cost down some and almost every one have been great shooters after I've gotten them chambered and spun up. I usually have gone with Hart for button rifled barrels, which are excellent. And I've had good luck with several of the button rifled brands you got listed. But if the customer wants the muzzle threaded for anything smaller than an 11/16 shank I tend to favor cut rifled barrels after noticing that the button rifled barrels tend to open up a couple of tenths right at the point where the barrel is turned down for the muzzle brake tenon. Just a few options. Best of luck on your project.

Preferred Barrel Blanks are their own company, partnered with MGM. Wilson barrels are a completely different company, with different owners.

That said, I've got a 300 BLK Preferred Barrel (Bolt Action), and it's an excellent barrel.

Preferred Barrel Blanks are their own company, partnered with MGM. Wilson barrels are a completely different company, with different owners.

That said, I've got a 300 BLK Preferred Barrel (Bolt Action), and it's an excellent barrel.
I have 3 of their barrels and they're all excellent if I do my job!