Which brand barrel

directtim

Guys, if you were going to gather parts and have a smith build you your idea rifle what brand barrel would you go with? Im thinking of a 300WM or 300WSM in a Stiller action. Also how do you determine the length and how does a brake play a factor in the length? Thanks for your help.

I would go with a Brux, its basically a kreiger that costs less and they offer that sweet interupted fluting. as for the other questions i dont know the answer to either.

I would try Mcgowen Barrels. If you have any questions they will help ansewer any questions you may have. They are my first choice and as far as a muzzle brake try a Vias out of Texas. As for barrel length start at 26 because in the old days most Mag rifles had a 26 inch barrel but to many people did't like a barrel that long. it's your choice..

Lilja # 6 contour (.750" muzzle) 28+" (you can always shorten it later if it does not work out - you can always take out but not add :rolleyes:), 1:10 twist + muzzle brake (Bennie Cooley, Muscle, Fat bastard, Noreen , etc ...)

Good luck!

Schneider, Krieger, or Bartlein if it was me. If you look at competitive shooting results that will give you a idea of who makes the best barrels. Schneider isn't there nearly as much as the other two but I've personally had really good luck with the 10 or so barrels I've used from him. Another bonus with Schneider is he is 6 weeks out as of a couple weeks ago when I ordered a barrel from him. The other 2 are closer to 6 months unless you buy it from a stocking dealer.

Depending on the make of the brake they will typically add 1 1/2 to 2 1/2" to the overall length of the barrel.

My last two customs are both Stiller Short Actions, chambered in 6.5WSM & 7mm-RSAUM. Both are wearing Obermeyer 5R barrels, Boots taught several of our current barrel manufacturers the ropes of the game. That kind of experience is hard to argue with. My first full tilt custom in 6-284 wears a SS Krieger, which I adore to this day. I really want to try a Schneider Polygonal.... LongRifles Inc (my 'smith) loves Brux barrels...

Point is: If you stick with the top end manufacturers, you won't get hurt & more than likely, you won't be able to tell the difference either :rolleyes:

Check out the below link, these guys are sponsors here & I have had outstanding luck with Greg. They STOCK Rock Creek, Obermeyer, Brux & Kreiger.... no waiting (for the ones they have:D).

Barrels :: Southern Precision Rifles

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts