Which 6.5 ????????

If I were going with a large capacity case, I would go with a 6.5 STW. Probably in the 6.5-300 wby range. Both are capable of some pretty amazing velocity. But I would think barrel life would make the 6.5-284 seem easy on a barrel. Here would be my plan, I would set a 6.5 STW up with a 9.5 inch twist and set it up primarily for 120 grain bullets, and with the right load you clould probably stabilize a 130 grain bullet. You would get unreal velocity and a little more barrel life. I don't know though how much research has been done with the 6.5s and a 9.5 inch twist though, or if you could even get one with that.

Personally, I have built many 6.5 caliber rifles in all barrel lengths, and to me the 6.5x55 rules the roost. Lapua brass is less than $70.00 for 100, low recoil, and easy on barrels. If you want speed try IMR 4831, 46.4 grns., 140 VLD and CCI primer, my chrony shows 2911 fps out of a 24" tube, that is the avg of 4 five shot strings, all groups were under.5 MOA at 100. If you want more go longer on the barrel, just make sure it has 1-8 twist, but with a BC hovering aroun .600 who needs more?

2nd for the 6.5x55. Mine's built on a '98 Mauser action, Douglas premium air gauged barrel in 1:8 twist cut to 24", chambered with PT&G's 6.5x55 Match reamer. Groups <.4" with 140grn Berger VLDs. Haven't chrono'd yet, but who needs 3000+ fps of barrel burning speed. By the time you figure out just what it's capable of the barrel will be shot and you'll have to start over from scratch.

If barrel life is what your worried about then nitride whatever you get and enjoy the long life that barrel burner will have. For a hunting caliber the WM or the 6.5-300 wby is by far the hardest hitting of them out there. The accuracy i got out of the first 6.5-300 i build was amazing. If you looking for something to burn up a bunch of bullets just to shoot alot you really cant beat the performance of the 6.5x47 case. Easy to get cheap brass and its a really efficient case. The brass will last forever and you can still get it in a short action. If not the 6.5-06 would be my next choice the lapua brass for it is a bit harder to find but not impossible and its a caliber thats easy to work with as well. I do like the 6.5-284 but it can be a tough round to keep up with when trying to get great accuracy out of. The x55 is a better choice in that size of case for easy loading and development but will require a long action.

If you want a 140 gr bullet to go 3,000 you are going to need at least a 264 WM so..
If buying your rifle: 264 WM
If building: 6.5 WSM
Neither will have great barrel life, but should hit the 1,00 rnds you require

Personally I don' think you need to push a 140 up to 3,000 for your needs. I would go with something more efficient, easier on bbls, and easier on recoil.
If buying: 260 Rem or 6.55 x 55 Swede
If building: 6.5-284

I was in your shoes 6 months ago and after an exhaustive research decided to either buy a 260 Rem or build a 6.5-284. I found a killer deal on a 260 Rem so I went that route. I will be saving up to build a 6.5-284.

Let us know what you decide.

PS. I think the post about the 6.5 WSSM was a typo, I think there is just the 6.5 WSM.

Fire Road, I very easily get 3,000 with my 6.5-284 with absolutely no pressure issues what so ever. I really don't notice pressure signs until I get around 3075+ and then when it is cooler than right now (about 10-15 degrees), I can get 3150+ with little sign of pressure. This is with a 140 Berger VLD, other bullets, I don't know. But with both of mine, 3,000 +/- a few is where I try to keep it in order to avoid any pressure issues, accept for a couple loads that are just extremely accurate and are below that.

You can extend the barrel life (esp with today's quality custom barrels, thanks to technology :D) with proper care/cleaning and using a powder with lower heat potential and moly coating and reducing the pressure.

For instance (using accurate barrel life calculator), ...

Bullet dia (in) .264
Loaded power (gr) 60 (just plugged in for calc purposes only)
Powder heat potential KJ/kg 3990 (H4350)
Pressure (PSI) 55,000 (Default)
Moly coating (Y/N) N
TOTAL 1090

Bullet dia (in) .264
Loaded power (gr) 60 (just plugged in for calc purposes only)
Powder heat potential KJ/kg 3630 (H1000)
Pressure (PSI) 55,000 (Default)
Moly coating (Y/N) Y
TOTAL 2137

Find the compromise that best suits your needs and go for it.

Good luck!

Ed

6.5x47 will run close to 3000 fps with the 140g. We got 2950 out of ours and it is a 22" barrel. We did gun juice the barrel, and slightly improve the case. What I have seen so far out of the x47, it runs with my 6.5-06 with significantly less powder. My .02.

Steve

Fire Road, I very easily get 3,000 with my 6.5-284 with absolutely no pressure issues what so ever. I really don't notice pressure signs until I get around 3075+ and then when it is cooler than right now (about 10-15 degrees), I can get 3150+ with little sign of pressure. This is with a 140 Berger VLD, other bullets, I don't know. But with both of mine, 3,000 +/- a few is where I try to keep it in order to avoid any pressure issues, accept for a couple loads that are just extremely accurate and are below that.

cfvickers - Thanks for the input, I may have to put my 6.5-284 build over my 7mm-08.

cfvickers - Thanks for the input, I may have to put my 6.5-284 build over my 7mm-08.

I recommend it! There is nothing at all wrong with the 7mm-08, I load for one my dad has and when I finally got it broken it, it is quite the shooter. I tend to lean toward 6.5s personally. I have been a fan of the 6.5x55 for years until I shot the throat out of my Husqvarna and had it set back and rechambered to 6.5-284, and although I am still a huge fan of the 6.5x55 for short to medium range deer hunting, I love the 6.5-284. In a shorter 24 inch or less barel velocities are around what you stated, You have to have at least 26 inches to see it's potential. Most of the published load data is derived from a 24 inch test barrel, and loaded for milder pressure than the round is capable. Of course, published data is a good starting place but if you work your loads up you will be able to usually get well beyond them. This is not just my own opinion it came from Walt Berger when I emailed him for load data and mentioned in a later email that the velocities seemed low. According to Mr. Berger their load data is running about 8% below true max and if and when they publish a manual it will be updated to reflect a real maximum. the only problem with regular published load data is that the large companies have to account for the differences in custom chambers with the 6.5-284. A load that is safe in one chamber or brand of brass may be unsafe in another. So they publish data on the low side to account for this and loads should naturally be worked up.

the powders that are getting me beyond 3,000 FPS in my rifle are RL17 (up to 3250 with a 140 VLD) RL22 and RL25 each reaching around 3100 with temps below 90 and humidity below 80%, 3000-3050 above that, and Hybrid 100V getting around 3150 in lower temps and 3075 in higher temps. My maximum with RL17 is 52 in low temps and 50.5 in higher temps. Around the same with Hybrid 100V. I would have to look at my data to tell you what the max was with RL22 and 25.

700varmint , again nothing wrong in my eyes with the 6.5 Rem Mag either, just won't do anything the 6.5-284 won't do and brass is easier to find with the 6.5-284 in my experience

In 7mm I would go with a long action and a 280 ackley over the 7mm-08 but that is just personal choice. But that would depend on what the shooter wants, to me it is a perfect balance between a 7-08 and a 7 mag. If you are looking to use less powder or lighter bullets then the 7-08 is the way to go.

Better yet a 6.5-300 WBY. Absolute hammer of a caliber!!!

... and another!

[FONT=&quot]6.5mm Allen Magnum[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]338 Rem Ultra Magnum parent case, necked down to 6.5mm, fireformed to min body taper and sharper shoulder angle.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]142 gr. SMK or ULD RBBT at 3450 fps with 142 gr. in 27" barrel, 3550 fps in 30" barrel lengths.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Appropriate powders: H-870, H-US869, AA8700 and WC872[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
Ed

[/FONT]

Last edited:
Hmmmmm, wonder if Kirby has ever thought of a 6.5AX 338 Lapua necked down and blown out to 6.5. Barrel life would certainly be limited. :)

6.4x284. I built mine two years ago and haven't looked for anything else. I built it on a Mauser 98 action and getiing .25-.50 MOA out of it, but I'm only push it at 2800-2875.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.