Which 6.5 chambering

shooter7

I'm gonna drop parts off at the gunsmith here in the next few weeks. I still haven't decided on a chambering. The barrel is a 1-8 twist 4 groove kreiger remington varmint contour with a finished length of 24-25 inches. The action is a rem short action. I've been leaning 260 rem but am open to all opinions regarding the 6.5 creedmoor and 6.5x47 lapua. The rifle will be a hunting rifle for deer and antelope inside 800yds. Anything further or bigger I have a 300wm for.

I'm gonna drop parts off at the gunsmith here in the next few weeks. I still haven't decided on a chambering. The barrel is a 1-8 twist 4 groove kreiger remington varmint contour with a finished length of 24-25 inches. The action is a rem short action. I've been leaning 260 rem but am open to all opinions regarding the 6.5 creedmoor and 6.5x47 lapua. The rifle will be a hunting rifle for deer and antelope inside 800yds. Anything further or bigger I have a 300wm for.

From your list, my personal choice would be ...

1 - 6.5 CM
2 - .260
3 - 6.5x47

Do a search for an article about 6.5 CM; .260 done right or something like that.

If you AI the .260, it'll go 1st on the list ... but that's just me.

ADDED:

Found it >>> http://demigodllc.com/articles/6.5-creedmoor-260-done-right/

Here's a good read too >>> http://demigodllc.com/articles/6.5-shootout-260-6.5x47-6.5-creedmoor/

I was brooding over the same question a couple of years ago. I wanted to go with the 260, but there were no good manufacturers of that brass. Then came Lapua, and I decided on the 260.

What's your guys' opinions on nosler brass. My local shop has a decent ampunt of both 260 and creedmoor.

If I were you I'd try to contact Rich 'Elkaholic ' to look onto a
6.5 SS. But it looks like you have a non - magnum bolt .
So you would have to open the bolt face but that little 6.5 SS is supposed to be one screaming bastard.

Yes I'm on a short action remington with a standard bolt face. Elkaholic did already get in touch with me about the 6.5ss. I built a 6.5 284 once on a long action in a savage 110 and I felt that a long action was necessary for that cartridge to reach maximum potential. Innitially i thought the creedmoor might just be a gimmick but it kinda sounds like it might have a legitimate following now.

Last edited:
6.5 Creedmoor is no fad, says the man with a 260.

Accuracy of three is equal.
Velocity 260, 6.5CM, 6.5x47L generally in that order.
Magazine fit vs. "Optimal" COAL 6.5x47L, 6.5CM, 260.

Which one?
IIWM 6.5CM

With a short action M700 the 260 rem is a no brainer. I own 3 of them all seriously accurate in a Krieger you should have one sweet shooter in either the 6.5 cm or the 260. The brass available for the 260 is excellent Lapua may make cm brass but that has not happened yet and they make more 6.5 brass than anyone.

The longest you will be able to load the rem short action wo extending the mag is 2.815 advantage goes to the cm but that doesn't seem to matter to my cdl sf 260 which shoots 1/2 moa all day. I don't imagine you would have any difficulty cycling cm brass in a short action rem. The nice thing about long actions and the 260 rem is you can reduce pressure and gain more velocity loading longer cases. I would not consider the 260 ai in a mag with max length of 2.815 but everything I hear about it has been fantastic.

Ultimately they're all excellent choices.

Good luck and shoot straight

Bob

It does seem that the creedmoor would fit better than the 260 in a short action which is why it is sort of appealing. And I would think that it would likely have slightly more barrel longevity though I'm not sure it would be significant.

The 260 shooting heavy bullets needs a Wyatt's box in a short action remington to fit. The 260 was designed back in the day when bullets were short, today's VLD style bullets need lots of magazine and they're not making bullets any shorter as time goes by. The bottom line is you're severely limiting your options by building a 260 on a short action with the factory length magazine. Seat a 140 gr. Berger in a 260 case at 2.800" and you'll see what I mean.

The 6.5 Creedmoor or 6.5x47L are much better designs for a short action and will save you a lot of headaches. Between the two there's not much difference, they're both good. I have two 6.5x47's, I like it because of the small primers and Lapua brass, plus it's extremely easy to get to shoot well. It's just a very well designed case. The 6.5 Creedmoor's no slouch though. If I'm going to be limited to one source of brass however, I'd rather it not be hornady. I guess nosler (norma) is making brass for it now which is a step up. Lapua won't make Creedmoor brass, it would compete with their 6.5x47 so I wouldn't hold my breath for them to make it.

Bottom line, forget the 260 and pick between the Creedmoor and the Lapua rounds. You'll be happier with the results.

There is not a whole lot of difference between the calibers you describe. I think that 800 yards for medium game is at the energy limit for all of them. I would consider the 6.5x284 or 6.5-06 with their improved ballistics for your described requirements.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.