Which 6.5 ?

Well, I had not thought of that. Well if I don't use mcree ill put it in a xlr industries chassis. Cnc machinery is awesome. I m going to use them for my weatherby vanguard 300. They will redo my bottom metal so I can use ai mags. 2900 with a .620 bc will be sweet.

Darrin

Thank you all for the replys. I am not looking for high speed. I really do not want to rebarrel my barrel after 1000 rds. Sargesniper what kind of velocity are you achieving with a 30 in barrel in your 260.
Bebchracer I am looking at the predator max 10 or 110. These three chamberings are offered in this rifle. I like the heavier profile barrel of the max 10 or 110 over the other offerings.
Greyfox do you shoot the 140 bergers? Did you change the stock or is it the factory accustock?

Darrin
With 142,140.139 gr.------- 2800-2900 +
With 120,123--------------------3100 +

They could be pushed harder i think but i really do not want to match the 6.5's reputation for barrel life. Been there , done that sort of thing. The .260 will get you to long range if you wish without trying to match the 6.5x284's speed potential. It has less recoil and uses less powder to achieve velocity. I however would not recomend a 30" barrel on a hunting rig. A 28" would be about the longest i would try for hunting and use a Hdy. 129 gr. or 130 gr. Berger. You will be able to achieve 2800-2900 fps. with this combination. That will easily get you to 1000 yds. The 6.5x55 will too. I would not go with anything slower than a 1-8.5 twist. Mine is a heavy Bartlein and it is a great barrel though not the only good barrel out there. Good luck with whatever you choose and keep posting the results. ..... SEMPER FI!

So after shooting both the predator and the lrh in the 6.5x284which did you prefer shooting? I know both shot extremely well so prob either would suffice . Thanks again for your help

Darrin

Tough call. I liked the weight of the Predator barrel, but the LRH adjustable stock, while kind of cheesey, feels great, and with the brake felt like I was shooting a 22-250. Also, my LRH keeps 5 shots under 1.5" at 500 yards if I'm on my game. This rifle is very accurate with 140 Bergers.

Tough call. I liked the weight of the Predator barrel, but the LRH adjustable stock, while kind of cheesey, feels great, and with the brake felt like I was shooting a 22-250. Also, my LRH keeps 5 shots under 1.5" at 500 yards if I'm on my game. This rifle is very accurate with 140 Bergers.

That is some mighty fine shooting Grey.

t

I run a 28" 1-8.5 twist Krieger@28" on my 260.With the 140 Berger Hybrids and 44.0grs of H4350 I get 2840fps with pretty decent accuracy.Same velocity with the 142gr SMK's but with 44.3gr of H4350,,, both shoot well in my gun with a slight edge going to the Hybrids in the accuracy dept.

For your list of needs you are missing the perfect option IMO. Get the Swede and don't look back.

More velocity than the 260 or Creed, way more barrel life than the Norma and a great history to boot!

One note of caution, when looking at reloading data for the Swede make sure you are looking at data that is loaded to current factory pressures. Many of the loads out there are loaded down so the older guns can handle them. With modern pressure it is the perfect cartridge for what you need IMO.

Scot E.

I got to step up for the Creedmoor, it have just under 1,200 rds of 140 A-maxes loaded with 42.5 gr H4350 @ 2875MV through mine as my comp rifle AI ce January...I jus re measured my throat and have .015" throat erosion and still shooting lights out.
It's hard to beat the Creedmoor for a LR practice round.

Another benefit you will see is the high BC of the 6.5 bullets match some of the heavier 30 cal bullets so your windage calls will be very close between the CM and 300 Win Mag....all with inexpensive hornady brass and 1/2 the powder charge.

I have shot some 140VLD's with great results as well but I'm using the hornady bullets cause ther are just as accurate and less expensive to boot.

First of all thank you all for your help. You guys are awesome and all of the opinions here are great. Thank you
Cwinner , that is what I am thinking right now. I know that the 6.5 bullets will make me a better shooter with my 300.
I was reading in the shooting times magazine I have dedicated to long range and they had an article in it about 6.5's. They listed the ballistics of them all up against a 300 win mag shooting the 190 grn smk's. what is funny is on wind deflection the 300 and 6.5's were neck and neck same wind holds to 1000. All of the 6.5's beat the 308 hands down on velocity and wind deflection. This cartridge will hang with a 300 wm in drop and wind calls. Obviously with the heavy 308 bullets the 300 has more energy but drop and wind are the same just from a bullet 80grns less and with way less recoil. Really was an eye opening article for me and got me thinking.

Darrin

First of all thank you all for your help. You guys are awesome and all of the opinions here are great. Thank you
Cwinner , that is what I am thinking right now. I know that the 6.5 bullets will make me a better shooter with my 300.
I was reading in the shooting times magazine I have dedicated to long range and they had an article in it about 6.5's. They listed the ballistics of them all up against a 300 win mag shooting the 190 grn smk's. what is funny is on wind deflection the 300 and 6.5's were neck and neck same wind holds to 1000. All of the 6.5's beat the 308 hands down on velocity and wind deflection. This cartridge will hang with a 300 wm in drop and wind calls. Obviously with the heavy 308 bullets the 300 has more energy but drop and wind are the same just from a bullet 80grns less and with way less recoil. Really was an eye opening article for me and got me thinking.

Darrin

+1, that's has been exactly my experience between my 6.5 creed and my 300Win, they compliment each other nicely.....if you were lookin for a pure hunting 6.5 then the 6.5x284 or the 6.5x55 would be the way to go but for targets and general shooting the Creedmoor gets my vote..... I shoot against guys with the .260 and there is no practical difference between the Creedmoor and the .260, except the Creedmoor has a better case design with a longer neck cause its a true short action design case, if your stuck on Lapua brass availability look to the 6.5x47 Lapua......I finally got on the 6.5 bandwagon this year and been loving every minute if it...for reference one of my buddies has over 3,000 rds on a Creedmoor barrel and his is still shooting great.

Your on the right track with any of these short action 6.5's

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.