Which 257 Weatherby?

I hate to agree with MUD I have heard him bash weatherby's way to many times but if the weights I viewed on the web are correct I like the CDL SF. BTW I own 6 Accumarks and they all shoot great. The 26" magnum accumark is one heavy firearm to take to the tree though if that's what you're into.

Good luck and shoot straight.

Bob

Well, you also know that I'm not just blindly bashing either... I have a legit reason to still be a bit chapped about them... If I was just some random supporter on the internet blindly repping something without personal knowledge and experience, then I would understand the disdain and doubt. You will have to admit I am pretty fair about admitting other brands' faults and short-comings, as well.

I've learned a lot about people on the internet on these forums. Just because you might hate someone at first, as time goes by, you learn to look past it, and find some common ground. I didn't get along with Ed (Feenix) and Gohring3006...But now we get along. We know we all have our own opinions and that some of those we will just never agree on, and not much is going to sway that, so we find our common ground, and we learn to get along.

And always remember...Even a broke clock is right twice a day. :D

No bids as of 5 a.m. on 7-28...

Muddy has something on Weatherby letting some rather poor shooting stuff out the door as I have a buddy with a 300roy accumark that is a total joke in the accuracy department. I have also seen Weatherby rifles with 1/2 moa capability using ammo loaded for another rifle... They are as hit or miss as any other manufacturer, but I know that one crappy 257 has really gotten into his craw and he'll dump on roy using it when he can.

From experience, with factory rifles, there is zero correlation between the price of a rifle and it's accuracy. If you're paying more money, it's for the fit & finish or maybe the reputation of the manufacturer. Which is fine, nothing wrong with owning nice firearms.

I have almost no brand loyalty to any of the major manufacturers. (Except maybe CZ, but I don't want that secret getting out to the masses). :)

From experience, with factory rifles, there is zero correlation between the price of a rifle and it's accuracy. If you're paying more money, it's for the fit & finish or maybe the reputation of the manufacturer. Which is fine, nothing wrong with owning nice firearms.

I have almost no brand loyalty to any of the major manufacturers. (Except maybe CZ, but I don't want that secret getting out to the masses). :)
I have 2 cz's and are by far the 2 most accurate guns I've ever owned!

I have 257 wbee. the round is very problematic. I am working with the nosler

110 gr. accu-bond. I can get a 1" or less group @ 100 for testing. I favor the 100gr.

Barnes TTSX. will keep working with bullet and powders. WILL get the right

load. if everything else fails, new Hart barrel. 28" #6 contour. just for ear noise

I have read that the 24" tube is at times more accurate??light:Dlightbulbgun)

There is an alternative: buy a used rifle for the action and place a premium barrel on it. Buy the reamer with the specifications that YOU want. Find a stock you like and add that to the package. It will cost less than many of those factory rifles that Weatherby makes and will have a much better chance of shooting more accurately.

Four of us built five 257 Weatherbys 10 years ago. We had PT&G make us the reamer so Berger 115 VLDs would have a .100" jump to the lands. We chose 3 Groove Lilja SS barrels. Three barrels were #3s and two were #5 fluted. ALL rifles shoot fantastic groups and have taken many animals.

Last year I got my hands on a #3 SS 3 groove lilja with low round count that was a Rem 25-06. I rethreaded and chambered it for a push feed model 70 and it also shot the 115 VLDs very accurately. It came with a VAIS brake and we used it with a 15 yr old youth hunter to get his second coues wt deer. It has since gone to a new home were my friend's wife will use it as her coues wt rifle.

I still have my 28" #5 fluted with 900 rounds through it. The 3 groove combined with the worn throat caused it to damage the VLDs at round count 500 or so. The view through the borescope is horrific BUT it still shoots moly coated 110 accubonds @ 3657 fps very accurately.

I am of the opinion that a factory chamber will never be the equal of a chambering cut with a custom reamer. Between my friend and I we have 17 reamers. I believe they are worth the extra cost of approx. $140 and help obtain the accuracy all of us want with our rifles.

Buy a factory rifle and take a chance it will shoot or build your own and increase the odds in your favor.

AZShooter- my Remington 700/Krieger barrel rifles are worth the money and the wait. the guy shooting RPR in another thread 467 rounds to find a .5" ! .... I have a rem 700 I paid 500 $ for added a Krieger 8 twist chambered in 6mmbr (475$) . has not shot over .5 since I sighted in. really takes all the mystery , blood, sweat , and tears out of it. my mark v .257 is proving a real challenge . fortunately or otherwise I figured planned on a project with it.

There are many stories of success with this chambering.

I have a buddy who got a 257 Wby Vanguard. The "breaking" was sub 3/8 at 100 yards. I saw the target.

Three of them went on a hunting trip, the other two rifles were non-operable for various reasons. The Vanguard took all game. First and only shot.

All factory rifles are a bit of a gamble. At least with a custom or semi custom you have some form of guarantee. With Wby you have a sub-moa guarantee. Worth it. I use "Federal Premium" to gets the sub-moa guarantee. There is none for the 257Wby, however, there is plenty.

I'd go with the Remington CDL over the vanguard. You can do so much more with the Remington. If by chance you ever wanted to rebarrel it the vanguard has metric treads and the CDL has american treads. Remington is just a all around better rifle.

I'd go with the Remington CDL over the vanguard. You can do so much more with the Remington. If by chance you ever wanted to rebarrel it the vanguard has metric treads and the CDL has american treads. Remington is just a all around better rifle.
Anything you can do to a Remington you can do to a Vanguard. Yes the threads are metric. That is why lathes have gears to change the thread pitch. Smiths who refuse to change the thread pitch from Remingtons 16tpi have their "reasons" which will always result in me using someone else.

Oh, I do use someone else now. Me.

The only thing a Remington or clone has that the Vanguard does not is a 2oz Jewel trigger. We are talking a hunting rifle so that is not much of a loss.

I have 4 Vanguards, 4 R700 (used to be 5), 9 or 13, maybe more Mark Vs. 2 Shultz
& Larson. An Allen Hall. A couple Mausers. A trapdoor. A real Winchester Falling Block built in 1913.

I dislike blind biased propaganda. Sorry "zorak" if you don't like my replay, it is factual and it is made from a position of extensive knowledge.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.