Which 257 Weatherby?

Deerhntr71

I am trying am debating between the new Weatherby Vangard Accumarck and the Remington CDL Stainless Fluted in 257 Weatherby. Vangard has 24" barrel versus the Remington's 26" barrel. But, the Vanguard is guaranteed sub moa and I have heard from some that Remington's quality and accuracy have been lacking. Do I loss that much with a 24" barrel from the 26".

Undecided, any thoughts?

How bout' neither. Keep your hard earned cash and by a 25/06 T/C Compass...you put hundreds back n your pocket and I hardly think an animals heart or lungs will notice the 200fps loss....and it'll shoot just as good or better on paper and reloading materials will be easy to find..

I am trying am debating between the new Weatherby Vangard Accumarck and the Remington CDL Stainless Fluted in 257 Weatherby. Vangard has 24" barrel versus the Remington's 26" barrel. But, the Vanguard is guaranteed sub moa and I have heard from some that Remington's quality and accuracy have been lacking. Do I loss that much with a 24" barrel from the 26".

Undecided, any thoughts?

The Remington CDL SF .257 Wby gets my vote. The 26" barrel will be better for a more complete burn with a cartridge of that capacity, as well. Plus, even if you only gain 50 fps over the 24", that's still a free 50 fps, right?

I had a Weatherby MK 5 Accumark ($2,200 rifle) in .257 Wby that the barrel started caving in around 75 rounds... It started life around a 3/4-1" shooter, then once the barrel started caving, it went to a 1.5", and then around 150-200 rounds down the barrel (at the end of the time I owned it) it was a solid 2"-2.5" gun at 100 yards. :rolleyes: I don't trust any factory Weatherby barrel after that, no matter how expensive the rifle is. I would rather put my faith in a random used no-name pawn shop rifle that looks like was found at the bottom of a swamp, than risk buying another factory Weatherby.

I've had cheap factory Remingtons that would shoot lights-out, and I've had a very expensive top-tier factory Weatherby that wouldn't... So, when it comes to factory barrels, they're all a crap-shoot.

Just my personal experiences.

I also agree with Frank. The .25-06 will do ****-near everything the .257 Wby will, but will cost you 1/3 of the price. I have a custom .25-06 AI, and I have shot and compared it side-by-side when I still had my .257 Wby. And it is within 100 fps of my old .257 Wby using the same powder and bullets. And brass costs me virtually nothing (comparatively), barrel life is better, ammo is cheaper, it uses less powder, and the case is more efficient, recoil is significantly less, and muzzle blast is significantly smaller.

If you have not looked into it, I would look into a new Remington 700 Long Range in .25-06. For the money, it appears to be about the best bang for your buck.

https://www.cheaperthandirt.com/pro...hetic-stock-matte-black-84162-047700841625.do

Undecided, any thoughts?

I think you may be getting some of you naming mixed up. The Weatherby Vangard in sub MOA version is not the weatherby Accumark rifle I have been accustom to. The Weatherby Vangard is a Howa that can and will shoot very well but you looses about 100pfs on the 115 BT that are rated at 3400fps with the 24 inch barrel. I used to own one and it did shoot about .75 to .8 inch with weatherby ammo. Now every Weatherby Accumarck I have seen has a heavy flutted 26 inch barrel or longer. But with this all said the 25=06 in the 26 inch will probably really be nipping at the 24 inch barrels heels. Also the expence of the weatherby rounds. For me I sold my 257 and got me a 6.5X284 Norma. Love it and its cheaper to shoot if you hand load with a lot better bullet selection.

The Remington CDL SF .257 Wby gets my vote. The 26" barrel will be better for a more complete burn with a cartridge of that capacity, as well. Plus, even if you only gain 50 fps over the 24", that's still a free 50 fps, right?

I had a Weatherby MK 5 Accumark ($2,200 rifle) in .257 Wby that the barrel started caving in around 75 rounds... It started life around a 3/4-1" shooter, then once the barrel started caving, it went to a 1.5", and then around 150-200 rounds down the barrel (at the end of the time I owned it) it was a solid 2"-2.5" gun at 100 yards. :rolleyes: I don't trust any factory Weatherby barrel after that, no matter how expensive the rifle is. I would rather put my faith in a random used no-name pawn shop rifle that looks like was found at the bottom of a swamp, than risk buying another factory Weatherby.

I've had cheap factory Remingtons that would shoot lights-out, and I've had a very expensive top-tier factory Weatherby that wouldn't... So, when it comes to factory barrels, they're all a crap-shoot.

Just my personal experiences.

I also agree with Frank. The .25-06 will do ****-near everything the .257 Wby will, but will cost you 1/3 of the price. I have a custom .25-06 AI, and I have shot and compared it side-by-side when I still had my .257 Wby. And it is within 100 fps of my old .257 Wby using the same powder and bullets. And brass costs me virtually nothing (comparatively), barrel life is better, ammo is cheaper, it uses less powder, and the case is more efficient, recoil is significantly less, and muzzle blast is significantly smaller.

If you have not looked into it, I would look into a new Remington 700 Long Range in .25-06. For the money, it appears to be about the best bang for your buck.

https://www.cheaperthandirt.com/pro...hetic-stock-matte-black-84162-047700841625.do
Nobody pays $ 2200 for an Accumark unless you paid msrp.

If you are going with a Weatherby chambering, IMO go with a Weatherby.

I have Vanguards but not in 257Wby, that one is a Mark V.

The Vanguards can be had from ~$500 on up.
The Remington I found is much more.

I prefer any Weatherby over everything else. Full disclosure, I live in Paso Robles, so I go with the home team. They are immensely strong.

If you want to make your Weatherby into a different chambering later, there are no "feed lip" modifications as the rounds are stacked by the shape of the magazine/box. I have changed an action from magnum back to standard with a bolt change and mag box for normal cartridges. Try that with a Remington style action.

My fault on the Accumark. It is a Vanguard Accugard, they are new this year. To me it looks like a cheaper version of the Accumark with a 24" barrel instead of 26", like the other Vanguards have.

I have a Remington 700 LS stainless and this thing shoots. The 257 Wby is one of the flatest shooting rifles out there. The only thing I would add is get the Remington and put on a Timney trigger. As for reloading cost if you necksize for the Wby that brass will last probably longer than 25-06 brass. I hope you enjoy wich ever one you choose. One little note the 257 will heat up a barrel fast so let it cool between shots. This will also save your barrel.

Nobody pays $ 2200 for an Accumark unless you paid msrp.

That's all you got from that post?

And yes, I was referring to MSRP, because that's the only way to compare new guns. MAP pricing will vary from dealer to dealer, therefore it is not a fair comparison.

That's all you got from that post?

And yes, I was referring to MSRP, because that's the only way to compare new guns. MAP pricing will vary from dealer to dealer, therefore it is not a fair comparison.

No. It's just that we've all heard about your bad experience with an accumark 100 times now.

I have a vanguard 257, moa shooter with about 5 different bullets and powder combos! It's been noted by several gun writers that you do not lose much if any velocity with a 24 inch barrel! I've got at least 4 reloading on the 80 brass I bought when I bought the rifle! It shoots as good now as when I bought it! You'll find that you'll get around 300 fps more velocity over the 25/06 ! About the same as 300 win mag over a 30/06 so argue that 257 haters! They are fun guns, something different and real deer killers!

No. It's just that we've all heard about your bad experience with an accumark 100 times now.

I'm aware, but people also need to be aware of what they're really getting vs. what they THINK they're getting. Remingtons have barrel problems too. So do Savages. So does EVERY manufacturer that mass-produces.

The OP listed the 2 rifles he was interested in and said he couldn't deicide, and wanted to know our thoughts...So I gave my experiences with the 2 brands in question. And even offered-up a 3rd option, incase he might be interested in that, but had overlooked it previously. This is an open forum, and we're allowed to express our opinions...And everyone knows the old saying about opinions.

I own a 257 WBY accumark it has been sub moa for years. I also own a CDL SF they are an excellent firearm.

After carrying my accumark to the tree more than a few times I like the thoughts of a 24"bbl in the 257 WBY. The 26" CDL SF is probably a little lighter than MY ACCUMARK.

I note the 257 wby accugaurd is heavier than the ACCUMARK by 1/2 pound. I find that hard to believe but I looked on the web site.

I cant find the weight of the CDL SF but would probably guess its a hair less than 8 pounds.

I hate to agree with MUD I have heard him bash weatherby's way to many times but if the weights I viewed on the web are correct I like the CDL SF. BTW I own 6 Accumarks and they all shoot great. The 26" magnum accumark is one heavy firearm to take to the tree though if that's what you're into.

Good luck and shoot straight.

Bob

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.