257 Weatherby

Wolf76

I have a Mark V 257 weatherby. This gun will not shoot. Like 2-4 moa regardless of powder / bullet combo that I've tried. I'm handloading this b itch and once in a while get a 1-1.5 moa group. But won't replicate it on the next go around.
Details:
Round count: unknown (I have about 170 through it), but bought it used.
Using Redding competition dies
Changed scopes
Has a timney trigger
B&C stock, fully bedded
1:10 twist
Factory barrel #2, free floated, Fouls easily
Has the standard weatherby freebore (about 8 miles)
Have tried 100 ttsx, 115-120 partition, 115 BT, 100 Sierra
H1000, rl 22/25,
And no, i don't have a bore scope. Barrel does feel smooth/ consistent when the patch goes through.
Should add that I'm shooting my 338 edge at the same time and getting .4-.6 moa, so my form is good.
Please help.

I would also suggest you inspect it with a borescope.

I took good care of my first 257 which had a SS 3 groove 1 in 10 Lilja. I didn't shoot more than three at a row for its life with cooling before the next string. It had to be replaced before it got to 1000 rounds. Imagine if your barrel was shot with longer strings how fast it could be worn out.

The barrel's symptoms could not be ignored. It took a long time to remove the fouling. It needed at least 3 fouling shots to settle in and would shoot okay for 5-8 rounds then shoot all over the place. A borescope showed firecracking and larger longitudinal cracks up the bore for over 8"!

The 257 Bee is usually pretty easy to load for. I have never had one that didn't like the 117 grain Horn, but a few didn't like partition and/or TSX.

Have you tried it with Weatherby Select ammo. All of the 257 Bees I have owned would shoot that stuff well under an inch, many into 1/2" and the ammo is cheaper than buying brass, which is how I discovered how well it shoots.

All 257 Bees I shoot three shot groups with 2-5 minute cool down between shots and cooled to dead cold between groups. Never had to use more than one round on any game with the Bee so don't really care what it does with a hot barrel.

If Select ammo won't shoot under an inch then there is something wrong with the gun, not enough gap in the float, stock pressing against barrel due to flex, not well bedded (I have seen this more than once on Weatherby rifles) bore off centre, bore worn etc. Check and fix easiest ones first and work on one variable at a time. Let us know how you make out.

ive heard of them going south with 500 rounds

Yup. From what I've read that cartridge (although quite sexy in my opinion) is the Poster child for being "Overbore". I'd get it scoped and I hope it works out for the OP.

This gun will not shoot. Like 2-4 moa regardless of powder / bullet combo that I've tried.
Round count: unknown (I have about 170 through it), but bought it used.
Factory barrel #2, free floated, Fouls easily

I'm going to buck the trend here by telling you that you do NOT need a borescope or have this barrel looked at with a borescope. 99% of the people who use or want you to use a borescope have no idea what to look for or what they're looking at. Save your time and money.

Then, based on the 3 quotes I posted just above this, get a new barrel, something bigger than a #2 and made by a top barrel maker.

Consistently shoots 2-4moa
Unknown round count
FOULS EASILY.

You've done your due diligence, put in your time testing and no joy. Have a gunsmith tear this barrel off and replace it with a high quality barrel in something like a #3 Bartlein. Be careful selecting a reamer and be sure you understand the throat and freebore on the new reamer. Yes the barrel channel will need to be adjusted.

Then go to the range and enjoy shooting!:D

I'm going to buck the trend here by telling you that you do NOT need a borescope or have this barrel looked at with a borescope. 99% of the people who use or want you to use a borescope have no idea what to look for or what they're looking at. Save your time and money.

Then, based on the 3 quotes I posted just above this, get a new barrel, something bigger than a #2 and made by a top barrel maker.

Consistently shoots 2-4moa
Unknown round count
FOULS EASILY.

You've done your due diligence, put in your time testing and no joy. Have a gunsmith tear this barrel off and replace it with a high quality barrel in something like a #3 Bartlein. Be careful selecting a reamer and be sure you understand the throat and freebore on the new reamer. Yes the barrel channel will need to be adjusted.

Then go to the range and enjoy shooting!:D

Guess we're all 99 percenters.

Besides crap barrel, I've heard of several mark 5 in the last 5-6 years needing their bedding jobs redone from the factory. Just another thought

I'll probably end up with a new barrel, but I'm trying to avoid the expense. This isn't one of my primary guns. It was a fun purchase. It WAS.
Would you guys recommend keeping the insane freebore of the original weatherby chambering when I rebarrel?

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.