Which .224 bullet for long range that can double as a varmint round?

Been shooting 80gr ELDM from my .224V AR loaded to mag length, and they have worked out very well so far. I'd think any of the .224 ELDM weights that fit your needs would work well for what you're talking.

I'm using the 73gr ELD-M for long range AR rounds. They are designed to be best BC mag fed. Check those out.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200407-083125_Hornady Reloading Guide.jpg
    Screenshot_20200407-083125_Hornady Reloading Guide.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 93
Last edited:
Wow, thanks for all the replies, several good suggestions here!

I'm shooting a WOA 18" barrel with a 1:7 twist. Unfortunately the 75gr Amax and ELD's don't work in an AR mag, but the 73gr ELD will. I think I still have a handful of the 77gr nosler CC's somewhere so I'll have to dig those out and see what they can do ... started to do some load work with them years ago and never really finished it.

The 69gr sierra's look pretty good to so I'll see if I can find them anywhere.

I'm using the 73gr ELD-M for long range AR rounds. They are designed to be best BC mag few. Check those out.
Yep, these are what I need to find. Have you put them on any game by chance? The ELD-M's seem to get mixed reviews on game.

I have had great results with 69smks in WOA barrels. I made a pseudo-sdmr that was stupid accurate with the WIN 748 load. Availability is an issue right now. I'm hoping things get better before summer shooting season really gets rolling.

I have had really good luck with the IMI 77gr Razorcore out of my 1-8" AR, so I shot 5 of them out of my Tikka Varmint and they were under 3/4" at 100. It is the Israeli version of the MK262 and it is the 77gr SMK with the crimp ring. Probably hard to find any factory 223/556 ammo right now though.

The 75gr ELDM is my bullet of choice for long range out of my Tikka, but I load them to 2.49" to get them .020" off the lands. Definately a no go for AR mags. The 65gr Game King leaves quarter sized exits on coyotes and I am pushing them 3200 with H4895. They will get a run on a doe during the anterless season next year.

The 65g Game Kings are very accurate in both my ARs. I just got a few hundred coming from Mid South now but due to the panic buying powder is in short supply for all AR suitable rounds. I am down to CFE 223, TAC and IMR 4064 but haven't tried the IMR 4064 in any 223 rounds yet??? I also load for 3 Grendels with ELD M 123g bullets with extreme accuracy but again now limited to powder on hand suitable for these above bullets and calibers...….

Yep, these are what I need to find. Have you put them on any game by chance? The ELD-M's seem to get mixed reviews on game.
I haven't used that particular bullet. I have used the 130gr ELD-M out of a 6.5 and it worked well. Not a bonded bullet but not a varmint either. I'm going to use these on critters for sure. I expect these to be similar to the 6.5 just a smaller scale.

I haven't used that particular bullet. I have used the 130gr ELD-M out of a 6.5 and it worked well. Not a bonded bullet but not a varmint either. I'm going to use these on critters for sure. I expect these to be similar to the 6.5 just a smaller scale.
Gotcha, I just found some of the 73's in stock at Brownells so I ordered a couple hundred. I have a box of the 140 ELD-M's but I haven't got around to loading any of them yet so these 73's will be my first experience with the ELD-M lineup.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.