Long Range Varmint 243.

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by Ongaku, Mar 25, 2008.

1. Ongaku

Ongaku Member

I have just had my MKV Weatherby re-barelled with a PAC-NOR 1-8 23" and am looking for a long range load for Varmint work.
    I have Berger 108, A-Max 105 and Nosler CBT 95s. Can anyone recommend a good load for this combo. I currently have Varget, AA4350 and VV160 powder but will happily get another powder if required.
    Be gentle' it's my first post:D
    Thanks in advance

2. cannon6284

cannon6284 New Member

check out the variations of loads on Reloader's Nest - a reloaders resource
    this is a good place to start with some proven data, I don't think
    you'll find your exact set up but testing is the fun of it, hope this helps.
    I also use the 105's in a 20" kreiger w/ 9 twist in a ackley that came from
    there w/ slight variations and it worked out perfect.

hope this can be of use.

Clint

3. timkenred

timkenred Member

Hi all; This is my first post also,I noticed some interest in .243 load data. WELL---- here goes ,Ive been shooting a .243 all my life along with a lot of others but I always came back to my trusted .243 . when I lived in Penna. I did a lot of groung hog hunting with a Rem.700 BDL varmint special which had a 1 in 12 twist barrel which just loved 41.5 grs. of IMR 4895 and a Speer 75 gr.HP when I hit a ground hog in the head it would just leave his ears and remove all the good stuff in the middle,during one of my more crazier moments I sold that gun to a friend that "just had to have it " . Then I went a few years without a .243 and now I have a Savage 110 which had a 10 twist barrel which also favored 75 to 85 gr. bullets which caused me to track quite a few whitetail deer. Well last year I had it rebarreled in .243 with a 26 in. true 8 twist barrel which seems to have a preference for Hornady 105 A-Max bullets and 38 grs. of IMR 4350 ,CCI BR-2 primers,Nosler custom brass neck sized only, to date my best 100 yd group measured .334 across 3 shots and .610 across 3 shots at 200 yds.

hope this helps someone.

Timkenred