long range bullet

jcamirand

I have recently acquired a Remington 700 BDL in 30.06 caliber, Stainless Steel, Fluted Barrel with thumbhole stoke in Black Laminate. I wish to use this rifle for long range shooting as recent physical limitations have affected the style of hunting I have enjoyed for so many years. I am starting to reload and prior to starting to reload for my 30.06 I would like to hear what people think would be the overall best bullet, bullet size (I prefer 168gr), and load for long range shooting (I will encounter most ranges from 200 through 750 yds). Any suggestions??gun)

For shots to 750yards, I would recommend a heavier bullet. A 190 or 210 gr Berger VLD or 208gr A-max would be my recommendation. I shoot the 208 in my .308win and the 210 VLD in my 300 win mag and 300 wby imp.

+1 on the above. Wind will become a major factor with any shot over 500 yds. The heavier bullets with the higher BC's will give you a larger margin for error on your wind doping.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.