Which .224 bullet for long range that can double as a varmint round?

SteelBanger

Looking for opinions on the best 68-75ish grain long range bullet that can also reliably put a coyote down. Primary goal is long range precision (600y - limit where I shoot), secondary goal is dispatching yotes that present an opportunity. Also these will be fired out of an AR so mag length is a consideration.

Similar option is a 69TMK. I'm working a load right now for my 22-250. I'd imagine they'd be fine on coyotes, haven't done it yet.

What rifle and barrel length and twist are you shooting? If at least 9 twist 60 gr Hornady Vmax I have not shot any but the Hornady 73 gr ELD match ought to work.
From my 223 AR 9 twist I have shot a number of ground hogs with the 69 Sierra Match King and it did a number on them. Golf ball size exits. As I have been told the 77 gr Sierra "open tip match" works pretty good on hostiles over in the sandbox. I just got some to give a try in the copy of a DMR with a 18" 8 twist AR that I built.

75gr hdy bthp. You wont get the spectacular reaction a vmax gets but it will do the job. My son used this same bullet for his first deer did a good job for a little pill. I have taken several coyote and a couple woodchuck with them.

RT2506, it's just a tinkering gun, a Ruger American predator, 1-10-in twist, so 69 grains is pretty much my max that I can shoot.

Thanks, I may, but the difference of BC is significant. The .375 is pretty good for a 224 bullet. The few loads I've ran are looking stable enough (and they should as sierra says the 69TMK needs a 1-10 or faster, and my low spot of elevation where I shoot is 4500'). I'm getting .75-1" groups right now. I just need to fine tune it.

I would use the 69gr tipped match king. Works really well at AR mag length and doesn't decrease powder capacity as much as a 77. I have had good results on yotes and it's my go to past 400yds, over a max load of win748. 400 and under I shoot the hornady 52gr bthp over WC844, which goes trans between 500-550yds.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.