Which 223??

Clucknmoan

Looking for a low cost bolt rifle for varmints around the house and to shoot paper under 200. Doesn't need to shoot record groups, but well enough that it will reward my kids with results when they show good form. Long barrel life is an absolute must. Not stuck on the caliber but I have a rediculous amount of 223 brass.

Was looking at the Ruger Americans, Savage Model 12 FV and Axis, Reminton 700 and 783's. All of these are under $500.

Any input on these would be appreciated.

The Savage 12 FV. Cabela's $419.99 regular on sale right now for $369.99.

Don Dunlap

My Mossberg MVP varmint in 223 does 4 shots that are covered by a dime @100 yds. And that is cheap hornady factory ammo.

Thanks for the replies gents. I went with the Savage Model 12 from Cabelas. I was leaning that way from the start and just couldn't pass it up for $369. Ordered an Argos BTR for it and should be good to go.

Might even sell my 220 swift if anyone is interested.

Update on this deal.

Shot 5 last night to start break in, clean 1 shoot 1.

Not too shabby. Did a round robin OCW this morning to see what we had to work with and this was the result of one of the charges, happens to be the center OCW. 69 grain SMK's at 2.260 COAL and Varget. This was shots 9, 13, 17, 21 and 30 out of the barrel. 5 shot groups.

Also did a round robin clean every 5 shots to continue break in, so the one marked "CB" is a clean bore. I'll shoot another round robin +/- .1 grains around this, then screw with seating. Not bad for a $360 Cabelas special.

Attachments

• 20170529_134522.jpg
    20170529_134522.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.