Which rifles stay and which go

VTbluegrass

I have three rifles that more or less can fill the same niche in slightly different ways.
1. Rem 700 ADL 270. 22" barrel, this one has has history with me so its an easy stay. Its the only named gun in my house "Mojo". Sits in a plastic stock with a sweet rattle can camo job.
2. Kimber 84L Classic 30-06 24" barrel. I wanted a lightweight short action but I found a deal on this so I got it. Like hunting with its but absolutely no fun at the range. Light gun and thin barrel, I spend so much time waiting for the barrel to chill. Had a little goat rodeo with reloads when I first got it but a new shellholder and Lapua brass fixed it. Doing some final tweeking of powder charge with 137 Hammers at the moment right around 3/4 MOA, these are a touch easier on the shoulder than 168's but still the lack of mass in a full house 30-06 load is noticeable.
3. Montana Rifle Co X2 in 7Rem Mag 26" Barrel. Again I was looking for an all-weather short action and had this been a 7-08 I wouldn't have fretted over it for 30minutes the day I bought it. Again a deal too good to pass up and I really like the action. Lots of fun at the range, could be better with a heavy barrel, but still the heavier gun is not bad to shoot. Its just a pain to tote around hunting the way I hunt in Eastern NC. You may be on an ag field but if you have to step in the woods its like carrying a full length 2x4 and in a climbing treestand holy cow its alot. I just really have a hang-up about selling a gun that shoots a few sub 1/2 MOA groups everytime I go to the range, frankly I think its me anything that opens up. Been rolling with a mediocre 3-9 Nikon scope on since I got it and It does need better if it stays.

How do you decide when to hang up a project a move on to something else either more interesting, more fun, for a different purpose? My budget just wont allow for an addition at this time so its either roll with what I got or make it turn into something else. Anything from that group look like an obvious throw away, just looking for others opinions, Thanks

You do have some overlap in capabilities but there's certainly not anything wrong with that. For me personally I'm a minimalist by nature and if something (anything) doesn't fit a specific purpose for me, or I simply don't use something I just don't see the purpose of having it. I'm in the same boat with a 6.5 creedmoor AR-10 I built simply because I wanted an AR-10 ... but I never reach for the thing so I'm kicking around the idea of selling it to put the funds toward upgrading the scope on my primary hunting rifle or maybe another barrel for another project.

Sounds like your .270 is a keeper, if that handles all the game you hunt then maybe get into a smaller caliber just for some fun range work, or a bigger caliber for bigger game, something like a 300 PRC. Or sell the other two and take your wife on a fun vacation! Whatever makes you happy man, you won't win any prizes for having the most guns in a safe.

For me personally I'm a minimalist by nature and if something (anything) doesn't fit a specific purpose for me, or I simply don't use something I just don't see the purpose of having it.
^^^^I resemble this remark as well.^^^^^ On the other hand I've also been known to just simply 'get bored' with a rifle and sell it after I've finished load development for it or whacked a deer with it and start a new 'project' with the sale proceeds.

How do you decide when to hang up a project a move on to something else either more interesting, more fun, for a different purpose?
Excellent question. There will be a lot of different answers due to personal uniqueness. I decide by weighing 'what I want' against my budget first and foremost and if that checks out then I ask myself does the 'new project' fit a specific niche that I have a need/genuine use for. If either one of those 'rolls a doughnut' then it's a no-go.

I have three rifles that more or less can fill the same niche in slightly different ways.
1. Rem 700 ADL 270. 22" barrel, this one has has history with me so its an easy stay. Its the only named gun in my house "Mojo". Sits in a plastic stock with a sweet rattle can camo job.
2. Kimber 84L Classic 30-06 24" barrel. I wanted a lightweight short action but I found a deal on this so I got it. Like hunting with its but absolutely no fun at the range. Light gun and thin barrel, I spend so much time waiting for the barrel to chill. Had a little goat rodeo with reloads when I first got it but a new shellholder and Lapua brass fixed it. Doing some final tweeking of powder charge with 137 Hammers at the moment right around 3/4 MOA, these are a touch easier on the shoulder than 168's but still the lack of mass in a full house 30-06 load is noticeable.
3. Montana Rifle Co X2 in 7Rem Mag 26" Barrel. Again I was looking for an all-weather short action and had this been a 7-08 I wouldn't have fretted over it for 30minutes the day I bought it. Again a deal too good to pass up and I really like the action. Lots of fun at the range, could be better with a heavy barrel, but still the heavier gun is not bad to shoot. Its just a pain to tote around hunting the way I hunt in Eastern NC. You may be on an ag field but if you have to step in the woods its like carrying a full length 2x4 and in a climbing treestand holy cow its alot. I just really have a hang-up about selling a gun that shoots a few sub 1/2 MOA groups everytime I go to the range, frankly I think its me anything that opens up. Been rolling with a mediocre 3-9 Nikon scope on since I got it and It does need better if it stays.

How do you decide when to hang up a project a move on to something else either more interesting, more fun, for a different purpose? My budget just wont allow for an addition at this time so its either roll with what I got or make it turn into something else. Anything from that group look like an obvious throw away, just looking for others opinions, Thanks
I had a hat in my childhood years that said 'He who dies with the most guns wins' But what the heck do I know! The ole man hit 76 today and still enjoys Mr Beam with his boys!!!!! 🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸

If you tree stand hunt, keep the 270. If you hunt wide open spaces with long shots in shooting houses or on the ground, keep the 7mm rem mag. If you do both, keep both.

Sell 2 and 3, stock up on a ton of 270 components. If the 30-06 meant more to you, sell the other two.

This makes wonder about the idea of 338wm and 338edge. I have an edge. Found a older 338wm that keeps calling me. Oh and I love my 06.

I am not one to get rid of guns, and I have two sons to pass it on to. I, too, have a good deal with Kimber 84L Hunter in .30-06 but had it re-chambered to .30 Gibbs (https://www.longrangehunting.com/threads/30-gibbs-is-finally-ready.242088/). You are correct, the barrel that came with it heats up quickly, but if you allow it, I never have that issue because I always bring other rifles (esp. .22 LRs) to shoot when the barrel gets too warm for my liking. 😇 When it is time to re-barrel, I will go with a carbon barrel.

Good luck with your decision.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.