Where are people having luck seating ABLR?

The Oregonian

Search turns up some older stuff with results all over the board, from .010 to .1 or .2.

Anyone have any recent info? My understanding is that they are not as depth sensitive as VLD's....would people agree? Is the seating window fairly wide? This is for a 280AI using 168.

Only descent 100 yard group was jammed by about .010". Puts me at 2.970" coal in a 308 win.

Other than that, I'll get one that is workable, attempt a seating test, and it falls apart. Not even the first one before the seating test would be consistent. I have tried the 190 in a 308 win, 30-06, and 300 WM.

They just don't work as I have tried to set them up. I am going to run another ladder with them jammed and see if it will work. Frustrating to say the least.

If you sorted them out by weight, and bearing surface then you might get some consistent results. I tried them and sorted by weight and they still were not giving me the accuracy I was getting from much cheaper bullets. I never got them to hold groups of any sort at 1000 yards. Up close they did ok at 200 yards but at LR I never got them to dial in. I have a box of 210 just setting on the shelf for my 300RUM. I was mainly working with a 6.5X284 Norma which shot a lot of bullets pretty well. Hope you get something working.

I did a load for a 6.5 cm with the 142 and it ended up .050 off.
Also just started a 6.5 prc load at. 050 off and got .4 moa at 200, I have not tested any further yet.

I did my 7mm Rem Mag load work ups on 3 different powders and all of them liked .020" off the lands.
Haven't worked on my 6.5 CM ABLR yet since it likes the Berger VLD Targets at .010" Off.

0.025" off the lands is where my 264 liked them the best, 142gr. Didn't go all the way to 0.050" because stuff opened up again at 0.030".

idcwby

.050" off lands in my 300 RUM and still shoots like crap. I have several boxes that will probably become paper punchers out of a 300WM. I'm hoping maybe sometime in the next millennium Federal TLR will be available in 200 grain.

Last edited:
6.5 creedmore really likes 142 ablr .032" 5 shot groups .03 " off lands. Only 1 problem, there are no 142's out there to buy! Nosler says look for them after September 2019. No one has them in stock. Bummer.

I could never get them to group well. I tried everything you can imagine. Burned around 150 rounds experimenting with every combination under the sun. Finally gave up. Tried Berger 215's and they stacked into clover leaves on the target. Have never looked back.

At .050"-.070" is where my depths have produced the tightest groups, both my 6.5x47 and 264WM like them thereabouts.
My 300WM is a different animal, it liked them at .040" one day, then .080" on another seating test, gave up on the 30 cal one for now, waiting for better powder options.

Cheers.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.