When NOT to hunt coyotes?

Does sound fun. Have been thinking about it for awhile with coyotes. Would require more practice. Im not as good with a handgun as I used to be. Don't use it as much as I used to.
Have been consentrating on long shooting for awhile.
What with the price of powder etc and its lack of availability so much of the time, not sure if I want to get into another aspect of shooting.

Ya I can understand not wanting to have to buy even more components. I went to buy some powder and they didn't have anything that I wanted. Ended up with some imr 8208BR, hadn't even heard of it before, but it is suppose to be good in .308 and. 243. So far not to impressed.
I want my Varget back! I out of powder for the .44mag as well. Glad I have some .22lr ammo or I wouldn't get to shoot much at all. :-(

Rupe

there is never a time to "not hunt" the buggers. use mating calls and territorial calls. the latter causes them to get very defensive of their turf. Mating is usually from Jan. to March in Mn. After mating, then start on prey calls, they have to feed the pups.

THE smartest critter I've ever hunted. They learn very fast. Ya, hunt ALL year.

I'm winding up a 3 day hunt for mountain lion today. haven't found one yet, but did find a cave/home of one. Kind of gives you the "willies" when standing in front of it, very well hidden from observation by anything, knowing that he/she might just be watching from somewhere nearby. Even made my buddy{ my dog} nervous.

Going to set-up about 500 yards from the spot this morning, and may be get lucky.

You be careful Fred, don't let him sneak up.behind you! Wish I was tbere to watch your back. Nothing lime goosebumps first thing in the morning! Good luck to you.
Rupe

I hunt them from December (prime pelts, 1st coyote tourney) till the the end of calving season (middle of May) then I leave them alone. It can get pretty boring if your calling and there is no pups around to be called in.

Happy Birthday

I'm leaving in the morning and will be camping over night for a couple of days hunting coyotes and jack rabbits in the same area. Its my form of practice because of the terrain and variable shooting situations. I zero my 223 at 100yds
and have developed come ups out to 500yds. I take several rifles so I can shoot out to 1000yds. This helps me estimate long range, shoot the shot, then range find the target. Dial in the correct distance and shoot again. The nice thing is I'm shooting first round shots 60% of the time. It builds confidence.

SEMPER FIDELIS
Leave it to a fellow Marine to practice long range marksmanship on a camping trip.
God bless and Semper Fi

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.