Where to hunt coyotes in Western Washington???

BENNYBOOBOO

Dad and I are interested in hunting coyotes for a change. We can read books and watch videos to our heart's content regarding how to hunto coyotes, but we have no idea where in Western Washington to embark on such an endevor.

Didn't really want to drive clear to the other side of the mountains to Eastern Wa. What about some of the WDFW Wildlife areas such as Scatter Creek, Black River, or Cherry Valley?

This does not necessarily have to be long range hunting- shotguns might be a better option in some of the more densely populated areas.

Where can a fella get after some coyotes in Western Washington?

EH

I am new to hunting coyotes myself.
Just got back from the Scatter Creek Wildlife area it seemed promising but I didn't see much in the way of coyotes. I saw some tracks and some scat but didn't see one in 1 day scouting and one day hunting called for 3 hours didn't see one. On the way back to the car one must have caught my scent down wind and left cause he was on my tracks and left his freshly killed mole. One drawback there is you can only use shotguns.
A few days ago I was out at Peterman's Ridge Wildlife area near Morton and saw plenty of coyote sign and heard em howlin though didn't see one. Plenty of blacktail though. I'm going back there again as well as Scatter Creek. If you find coyotes out this way (Western WA) I'd like to know.

Dad and I are interested in hunting coyotes for a change. We can read books and watch videos to our heart's content regarding how to hunto coyotes, but we have no idea where in Western Washington to embark on such an endevor.

Didn't really want to drive clear to the other side of the mountains to Eastern Wa. What about some of the WDFW Wildlife areas such as Scatter Creek, Black River, or Cherry Valley?

This does not necessarily have to be long range hunting- shotguns might be a better option in some of the more densely populated areas.

Where can a fella get after some coyotes in Western Washington?

EH
You can hunt anywhere shooting is allowed....Fort Lewis allows hunting after a brief introduction, also on the east side you can hunt on military training areas with permission, Get permission from cattle ranchers. Game dept has 1000's of acres open to the public...Think food, cover, water. Coyotes are every where...all over state.

This thread is older ,But I can put people on the Dogs up here in Whatcom County.
I like to use my Crossman 177 Caliber PelletGun.It really smacks the hell out of them....:cool:

Jump on On X maps. look for all the open BLM, National forest, wilderness area or whatever you are allowed to hunt. Put some waypoints down on the map then copy the GPS coordinates. Plug those coordinates in Google earth and you will see a very helpful map. Ideally some of the best stands are where you are slightly higher than the surrounding terrain so you can see them coming in. Ideally to be the most successful you want to do as many 20 min stands as you can on a low wind day. And you want to be able to drive a couple miles between stands (if you are calling pretty loud) or only 1 mile or so if you can calling at a medium volume. ideally you don't want the coyotes to see your truck when they are coming in. So you want to hide the truck, then walk a 100 yds or so, call from a vantage for 20 min then jet back and drive to the next stand. I just realized he asked this a long time ago but I hope this helps someone.