Coyotes to 750yd setup

Biff said it well,, The 22-250 may be fast, but the little bullets get blown around by the wind and shed their energy fast compared to heavier, higher BC bullets from a more powerful cartridge. Trying to shoot higher BC bullets in a 22-250 would generally require a custom barrel with an 8 twist or tighter too.

Wrote a out a lot of thoughts and questions generated from your responses and lost them because I logged in at the wrong point, or so the error message said. Ugh, to late to start over tonight, try again tomorrow. Thanks much for the responses.

Biggest question right now is to invest the months and $ on trying to get out to 500+, maybe 750 eventually with the 270 or consider going to a 6.5 and which one? I'm starting with what I have for now.

My wife is afraid this might take over my life.

My thought is this: if your 270 is accurate and you like it, scope it. Get a range finder with moa drop such as the Leica. Leupold, Nikon, and Bushnell are good too for your distances. You need something to get you a quick solution that is accurate.
This gets you started. A wind meter is necessary in my opinion but I hunt a wide variety of terrain.
If you don't like your 270 or it is not that accurate get rid of it and go with a 6 or 6.5. You don't need a high end custom rifle. Most off the shelf 6.5 or 243 rifles are accurate from my perspective.

Wrote a out a lot of thoughts and questions generated from your responses and lost them because I logged in at the wrong point, or so the error message said. Ugh, to late to start over tonight, try again tomorrow. Thanks much for the responses.

Biggest question right now is to invest the months and $ on trying to get out to 500+, maybe 750 eventually with the 270 or consider going to a 6.5 and which one? I'm starting with what I have for now.

My wife is afraid this might take over my life.
i am a remington/krieger guy. i have both a .243 and 2 6.5-284. trying to get a factory rifle to work at distance ..... not a good bet. maybe a savage f-class or lrp, lrp-v do not know have shot those. my 700// krieger work. the further you depart from what the f-class shooters use the less likely it will perform.

Interesting. My savages out of the box all shoot under .5. My Remington 700 also shoots .5 but had a few things done. Trigger and bedding. Savages are bone stock.

Having shot over 250 coyotes; to me they are a small target. the furthest was 496 yards. no where close to 750. i have competed in f-class competition at 500, 600 800,900, and 1000 yards. the savage rifles i mentioned do well. i have never shot against any one i n f-class competition that shot a factory .270 . i would like to . f-class is a great way to learn , just wish my learning curve was not so flat

The 22/250 is one helluva little cartridge but 'little' can be very deceptive! Deceptive in the fact that if the right ROT is used it shoots 90 gr. Sierra bullets quite well to 800 yards and I think it's gonna do pretty well at 1000 when I start testing it. I shoot a ROT of 1-7" and even though some have said that these bullets will vaporize in flight....I have shot over 500 rounds through this barrel and I have yet not to get a bullet on target....including some coyotes that thought they were far enough out and stopped for a look back!! And yes...it takes a custom barrel because unfortunately most factory rifles come with either a 1-12" or 1-14" ROT. These bullets have a BC of .504 and are highly accurate.:Dgun)

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.