When NOT to hunt coyotes?

Goofycat

I was recently told that during the period from December-February, coyotes were not particularly interested in responding to hunters' calls because they were too busy trying to mate; therefore, it was best to wait until either before or after the mating season.

I have scoured the articles on HOW to hunt coyotes, but have found nothing about WHEN or WHEN NOT to hunt these animals.

I plan a coyote hunt later this month (February), but don't want to waste my time if these animals have little or no interest in my mouth or electronic callers because they are too busy with their mating duties.

I have always hunted during the summer and fall with no problems, but I now want to go after these animals in cold weather due to the reported lower availability of coyote prey that points to coyotes' being hungrier than during warmer months when their prey is more apt to be above ground and more active.

Is it true that hunting coyotes during their mating season is a waste of time, and if so, just WHEN is that mating season...at least in the western U.S.? I hunt in western Nevada or the extreme northeast corner of California.

Thanks,....

Barry

Thats what the female invitation and the estrus whimper is for.
+1 I have my quickest response to calls in Feb. using female invitation calls. Normally within first 5-10 mins. Just don't over do it I normally call twice then wait 15 min. if no response will make one more set of calls if nothing after another 10 I move to new location can't call em if there not there.

Maybe the author of the article needed to clarify; they aren't very quick to respond to distressed prey sounds. If they're in the area and you use challenge howls, female invitations, estress whimpers and fighting typed sounds they should respond. They still have to eat, and they're more apt to fight for their territory during breeding season which is the time you are discussing, jan-march where I grew up hunting. To me it's similar to chasing the rut deer hunting not all of them come into rut at the same time. Hope it helps good luck and happy hunting.

Calling dogs in the winter is tough for a couple of reasons. They are paired up for breeding and they have most likely been called in and shot at. Coyotes wise up to the call quickly. You can overcome this by changing up your calling routine. A female howl works great in the winter as do challenge howls. You may have to stretch out your set times as well. A pup in distress call works well too. IMHO once it hits march I stop hunting coyotes all together until mid September. I like to give the dogs that did make it through the winter a chance to raise their pups. That makes for great early season calling the next year.

About the only time "Not to Hunt Coyotes" would be on windy days and when its raining! :rolleyes: :D

As several stated....using Female Invitations Howls/Barks and so on will work this time of year and the Pup in Distress sounds too,I'm in the Heartland/Midwest Missouri and we had had good luck with those sounds also...our Season stops at the end of March and we can't hunt them in April and a week or so into May while the Spring Turkey Season is on and the Coyotes are raising their Pups!Then its back on again...and I do very well in Hay Fields and Pastures when the Farmers are cutting and bailing Hay!

You can't kill coyotes Sittin at home. You can hunt year round if you like (at least in Oklahoma which has no season), but for furs winter is the best!

Yes, they're somewhat more susceptible to coyote vocalizations in the Spring. I too leave them alone in the Spring and Summer to raise their young unless there is a damage complaint.

I like coyote hunting now better than any other time of the year.. Because when you see one you will almost always see two.. /Two for one,, Doesn;t get an better than that.. I don;t call, just wait for them to come in..Usually around an old gut pile... Takes a little more patients but I usually get two every day...I have about 3 gut piles and alternate them.. Staying away for a couple of days before hitting them.. All on private property, preferably mine. The ranchers love me.Giving me all there dead animals... Buying me powder and bullets..It works///
There is no time to Not hunt yotes

JW FROM COLORADO

Shot 2/22/13 east of Julian (east of San Diego, Ca.) at 0730, 130 yards, 60gr V-Max 2900fps, Weatherby Mark V, Vortec 2.5-10. Call: fighting feline (house cat).
20 minutes before yote came running in to investigate.

Attachments

• DSC_0002.jpg
    DSC_0002.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 165
Shot 2/22/13 east of Julian (east of San Diego, Ca.) at 0730, 130 yards, 60gr V-Max 2900fps, Weatherby Mark V, Vortec 2.5-10. Call: fighting feline (house cat).
20 minutes before yote came running in to investigate.
Congrates! That was on my birthday and looks like you got the present!
lol

Happy Birthday

I'm leaving in the morning and will be camping over night for a couple of days hunting coyotes and jack rabbits in the same area. Its my form of practice because of the terrain and variable shooting situations. I zero my 223 at 100yds
and have developed come ups out to 500yds. I take several rifles so I can shoot out to 1000yds. This helps me estimate long range, shoot the shot, then range find the target. Dial in the correct distance and shoot again. The nice thing is I'm shooting first round shots 60% of the time. It builds confidence.

SEMPER FIDELIS

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.