Whats up with 300 RUM brass

Dave,

I have heard of RWS brass but didn't realize it was apparently of such good quality. How does it differ from Rem or Lapua for instance. It's German...right? I'm assuming that it's not like 338 Lap brass that's designed to take 70K vs. the 65K of most brass? How is it constructed such that it can take quite a few more high end loads? Thanks for the info. Jon

Dave,

How is it constructed such that it can take quite a few more high end loads?

i can't answer that question. all i know is, it's the best brass on the planet. most rate Lapua as a close second. it's obviously the materials used, processes, everything that goes into making it. yes, it is German.

i've heard a couple of bench shooters say they eliminated quite a few flyers when they went to good brass instead of using Rem or Win.

i went looking for some 3 weeks ago and lucked into 100 pieces. i only wanted 40 but had to buy all or nothing. so i have 60 for sale. the reason the price is so high is because they haven't made it in 4 years. price is $4 a piece shipped in the conus.

Dave,

Have you heard of anyone getting this brass necked down to .308 for a 300RUM? I've got a .30-.338 Winchester that I neck down to, but the process with 404 Jeffery brass sounds like an extra step or two.

Here's some load info from a 29.5" barrel. Seems like some pretty stout numbers for the 240 SMK even with that length barrel...
http://www.accuratereloading.com/30-404.html

Last edited:
it's doing great. haven't touched it yet, still sitting on the shelf! i should work one of them and fireform just to see what happens. would be a great fit for that 338rum.

I was browsing the Midway sight today. They have .300 rum brass now. I got a 500 count box enroute to me.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.