300wm military brass-What's up with this?

Interesting idea! The whole thing really leaves me scratching my head. The company I purchased the brass from has supplied 1000's of pcs of 7.62 brass for me and that stuff has been great. When I called and asked about the 300WM, they said they are using it by sizing with collet dies, and having no problems. The only collet dies I am familiar with size the neck. They did offer to refund the cost of the brass.
I still can't help but wonder about the head spacing idea. I've heard of people having their chambers modified to eliminate head spacing off the belt. IF these cases were actually fired in a military owned rifle, of some variety, has the military changed the specs of the chamber to eliminate spacing off the belt? I seriously doubt the military would consider the reloadability of fired brass to be of the slightest interest.
They would be referring to the Larry willis collet die, it sizes the body only ALL the way down to the belt by squeezing it back into shape, not plowing brass like a regular die body does.

Sorry you got taken for a ride on this. A previous version of the mk248 was made with FC 12 brass. It is soft and the chamber pressures are stupid high. Like a full grain to grain and a half higher than any sane data out there. Consider the cases single use.

I have seen Mark 248 and Mark 248 mod 1 ammo shot out of rechambered m24s with oversized chambers to guarantee easy extraction.

In the early 90s I saw 220 match kings chrono ALMOST 3100fps!!! Out of a 26" barrel....

I also saw a 231 grain high bc bullet over 3000fps... It was MUCH MUCH MORE STABLE AND ACCURATE AT 1500 YARDS.

THIS AMMO WAS MADE AT

The REAR of these chambers were MANY THOUSANDTHS LARGER THAN CASE DESIGN IN A CONICAL FASHION...

THESE FIRED CASES ALMOST FELL OUT OF THE CHAMBER!!!

BTW 1/2 TO 3/4 MOA @ 1000 YDS @ -10DEG, 50DEG AND 100DEG FOR 5 ROUND GROUPS WAS THE NORM, 3/4 MOA FOR 10 ROUND GROUPS WAS MAX FOR A NEW RIFLE TO DEPLOY ON A NEW BARREL...

I suspect maybe you have brass from these uses maybe?

If you size a chamber to headspace on the shoulder instead of the belt, wouldn't that be inherently dangerous? At least setting yourself up to have the case separate in the unsupported area just forward of the belt? Perhaps, with hot loads, to have the ejector (eventually) pull the rim/head off. Seems like you would have to size the belt so that it conforms exactly to the chamber diameter at that spot, to keep the chambered round aligned. I know this is completely off topic, but it arouses my curiosity.

These hot pre mark 248, mark 248 and mark 248 mod 1 loads were created by a genius vietnam machine gunner, machinist and patriot who built my pair of m16A1/m16A2 hybrid rifles with free floating swan sleeves in 1991 with leupold m8 4x scopes and 3lb triggers... the swan sleeve enabled me to mount a neat night vision magnifier called the simrad as well.... these rifles when lubed with "whale cum" they never failed me regardless of sand, dust, mud or ammo quality and were responsible for hits when needed at 800 yards with 62 grain armor piercing 62 green tip... a lousy killer under 200 yards, more of an ice pick, 200-500 2 seemed to "incapacitate" most problems...

Btw 1/7 chrome lined 20" barrel ACCURACY lasted EXTREMELY WELL, thousands and thousands of rounds under 1.5 moa @500 yds, even with moderate occasional full auto burst use for immediate action drills to break contact...

This genius also built me a 14lb chopped and channeled m60 INCLUDING a hard box AND 2-100 ROUND BELTS OF AMMO ready to go!!!

There is NOTHING more comforting than a RELIABLE ACCURATE 7.62 BELT FED...

I may have been slow, but I could bring the goods...

IN 3 YEARS AND 17 TRIPS I I NEVER HAD A BOLT SHEAR, NOT ONCE!!! CYCLIC RATE WAS SLOWER, MORE MANAGEABLE, and as far as clearing a room with a belt fed goes as absolutely pointable and confidence inspiring as possible...

7.62 EATS BARRIORS...

If you size a chamber to headspace on the shoulder instead of the belt, wouldn't that be inherently dangerous? At least setting yourself up to have the case separate in the unsupported area just forward of the belt? Perhaps, with hot loads, to have the ejector (eventually) pull the rim/head off. Seems like you would have to size the belt so that it conforms exactly to the chamber diameter at that spot, to keep the chambered round aligned. I know this is completely off topic, but it arouses my curiosity.

Sizing on the shoulder with once fired brass for accuracy in belted magnums has been normal since at least the 50s/60s I believe? Ackley was writing about it back then...

Yes, the barrel would need to be set back the distance in difference from case head to shoulder datum, otherwise the chamber would be stepped in the neck.
Any GS worth their salt can figure this out and get the job done.

Cheers.
The only issue I would see with re-chambering a 300WM to PRC would be the twist rate. Most 300WM have 1/10 or 1/11 twist and the only advantage the PRC offers is being able to shoot the 250s which require a 1/8 twist. They are a game changer! but will not stabilize in even some 1/9 twist barrels. Just my opinion but I would completely re-barrel it to take advantage of the heavier bullets.

Purchased 100pcs of once fired military surplus brass a while back. When I attempted to size them, the base of the sizing die was shaving a brass ring off the cases. I tried multiple dies with the same result. When I tried a test fit of the once fired brass in my Rem. Sendaro, the brass wouldn't come close to dropping into the chamber.
Does anyone know if the military uses chamber specs which would account for this?
Even if I were able to get this stuff sized down to useable, I'm still tempted to question the condition of the brass after this much of a stretch.
[

Last edited:
Purchased 100pcs of once fired military surplus brass a while back. When I attempted to size them, the base of the sizing die was shaving a brass ring off the cases. I tried multiple dies with the same result. When I tried a test fit of the once fired brass in my Rem. Sendaro, the brass wouldn't come close to dropping into the chamber.
Does anyone know if the military uses chamber specs which would account for this?
Even if I were able to get this stuff sized down to useable, I'm still tempted to question the condition of the brass after this much of a stretch.
Trash it looks to be expanded too far to come back

They would be referring to the Larry willis collet die, it sizes the body only ALL the way down to the belt by squeezing it back into shape, not plowing brass like a regular die body does.
However, even this brass looks too far gone to use the Willis die on it.
I use mine on a somewhat regular basis, and wouldn't try it with what I see in the photos.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.