Whats up with 300 RUM brass

dmproske

Whats the deal with 300 rum brass? Why the shortage all the time? Is Remington creating a shortage just to drive up prices? It also seems like the Nosler brass is hard to find as well.

i have an edge that uses 300rum brass and since rem brass is the bottom of the heap and you only get 5 firings, i decided to get some RWS 404 jeffery's brass. it's supposted to be the best and will outlast the barrel so i figure it doesn't cost as much. of course it's a lot harder to find than 300rum rem brass.

All manufacturing concerns have to try and determine demand when they schedule a production run. The key is to hit it in the middle—inventory is bad and costs money.

Remington is not trying to soak you for more money rest assured.

I know it's the least favorite but there is remington brass out there to be had. There is also your choice of once fired if you care to use it.

i have an edge that uses 300rum brass and since rem brass is the bottom of the heap and you only get 5 firings, i decided to get some RWS 404 jeffery's brass. it's supposted to be the best and will outlast the barrel so i figure it doesn't cost as much. of course it's a lot harder to find than 300rum rem brass.

Where are you getting it?

by luck i stumbled across a guy that had 100 pieces. i didn't want that many but had to buy all or nothing. my understanding is they haven't made any for 4 years.

by luck i stumbled across a guy that had 100 pieces. i didn't want that many but had to buy all or nothing. my understanding is they haven't made any for 4 years.

I have a wildcat that I use the base case to fire form and am glad now that I bought 1k pieces 2 years ago!!

BH, let's see 1k pieces, how many barrels are you gonna go through? i'm necking mine down to 338 and heard that i should anneal when i fireform. are you doing anything of this nature?

Local Sportsman's Warehouse here still has about 250 pcs as of Thursday. Unfortunately they were $88.00 per 100. If anybody is in dire need of some let me know and we might be able to work something out.

Dave,

I've got a 338 Edge coming at some point. What do you think about using Norma 404 brass? And exactly what are you doing to neck the 404 down to 338?

Thanks,

Jim

i haven't gone through the procees yet, but have heard from a couple sources that 2 steps with a 375RUM die and then the 338/300 will get the necks right. then you anneal and fireform the shoulder out to an edge. i've heard there's nothing better than RWS brass, i'll let you know if it was all worth it.

Norma is considerably better than Rem and yes the same process will work with it.

Why not just shoot the Rem barass and cull them. The whole idea of the Edge is ease of use and less expensive brass. 300 expanded to 338 and shoot it. 404 down to 338 will at best thicken the necks enough to need turning, and fire forming after that. Sounds like a lot of work and extra rounds down the tube. All in all its a Lapua re-invented

i've used Rem brass in my edge and i'm on my 3rd batch of 50 pieces. you get about 5 shots with the ones you don't cull. i paid almost $4 apiece for the RWS stuff and it will be cheaper brass because you can wear out a barrel with 50 pieces. not to mention brass is one of the key components in accuracy. RWS brass is probably used by more benchrest shooters than any other. there's a reason for that.

as far as the fireforming, i have a detailed process to do it with cornmeal from one who formed RWS into a cartridge very similar to the edge. i'm gonna try it, if it's a bust i'll post my results. seems like something interesting to do.

as far as neck turning goes, i have to do it with Rem brass, not much of a change there.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.