What's the highest magnification you use while hunting from 500 to 1,000 yards?

I used that response to tell you, not everyone agrees with you. That doesn't mean they're wrong. You are getting combative over subjective opinions. Why?
And yes, I tested many scopes. And your opinion doesn't line up with mine.

Sorry to appear combative.

You actually compared a variable scope on a low setting until you could not longer see your subject and then turned that same scope up and couldn't see your subject? Maybe you didn't turn it up enough.

Not being able to go below 15x, the OP looses twilight shooting time. That would be a deal breaker for me. For a hunting scope at first light and last light, I want a scope capable of 4x or 5x with an illuminated reticle. Other than that, if the 15x Golden Eagle has good parallax close up, (10 yards out), then all you loose is field of view, which to me is not a big deal, as I am not shooting moving targets.

If you opinion is the rule, why isn't all hunting scopes 36 power? Or even 50 power?
Why are most hunting scopes ranging from 1.5 power to 24 power, with most guys choosing somewhere around 18 powrer as max.
I think I know,
Eye box
Better light gathering/exit pupil size,
Eye relief is usually more.
Mirage is less
Field of view.
All of those make a good hunting scope.
All of those make you "see" better.

Are you being serious about 36X or 50X? Why not just get a variable that ends at 36X or 50X. There are very good scopes that do this. That way you have a good "eye box" and all the rest of your list.

Rich,
Thanks for clarifying what you meant, at first I didn't get it. I can see merit in this. Once you have acquired the target, adjust magnification till you have a better picture. I can see this going both ways, up and down.
I do this anyways, unless I expect a quick shot. I will adjust my magnification to a point where I expect an animal to be, to have a good field of view and still be able to have a definitive aim point. Example: last year in Colorado I sat in a spot one morning with my .375 Snipetac w/5.5-22 NXS mounted with the mag turned to half power (that way I can still utilize the reticle for quick wind holds). The closest shot offered across the valley was about 650 yards (have to check my notes). Also already had the dope for that shot adjusted on the elevation turret.

Last edited:
Rich, you are probably right that you were able to zoom in and "see" the point of the horn better. The image itself was probably not as "bright" however. There is a point of diminishing return while zooming. Because the exit pupil of the scope is getting smaller as you increase the magnification of the scope. At some point the image will not be bright enough for you to determine anything. This point also depends on the ability of your eyes and as we age our eyes do not see as well in the dark because older pupils do not dilate as much. Also, you are judging the quality of the coatings on the optics more than anything in your tests. Which is important. But if you compare a couple of PST scopes with different objective lens sizes and magnification ranges. The coatings would be the same and your test results somewhat different.

I agree with this explanation. Being primarily a whitetail hunter, I lost count years ago of the great bucks that showed up at last light......I'd get a read on the antlers at the higher power(often silhouetted) but couldn't get the clean body shot. I'd say +90% of the bucks taken at last light were with the power turned down in order to get more light coming through the exit pupil.

Thanks for all of the comments. I decided to buy the Delta Stryker 4.5x30x HD FFP and will be selling the Vortex 15-60x

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts