What magnification do you prefer for 600+ yards on game?

Tyler Kemp

Finally I have some money saved up for a scope, but I can't decide what to get, or how much magnification I need. Going on my 338 once I do good on my ACT, trying it again in about a month. Gonna be a hole punching gun, in paper, steel, and up to deer sized game. Here's the scopes I've seen and liked (features and price), what do you guys think?

From least expensive to most-
Falcon Menace 4.5-18x
Millett LRS 6.5-25x
Bushnell 4200 Tactical 6-24x
Bushnell 6500 4.5-30x

Can't decide, but I see everyone on snipercentral loves their Falcon's, and they have neat reticles, supposedly dead on clicks every time, and about $400 at my door. :)

Last edited:
Tyler,
This is just my opinion, dont mess around with the latest hype (fluffy reticle,tracks good blah,blah,blah) get something that will work period Leupold4.5x14 LR or the Leupold 6.5x20 LR 40 or 50mm is your preference depending on your application.
UB

Out of the choices given, I like the Bushnell 4200 with mil dot and target knobs.

I recently sold a Falcon Menace that I picked up from SC, and it was a great scope. Not a complaint with it, I just prefer the Bushnell a little more.

I to vote for the Leupold VX3 LR 6.5-20x50, or 8-25x50 with fine duplex reticles, SF, and 30mm tubes. There great scopes, not a lot of crap in your reticle, if you wanna click you dont need all that junk in there IMO. There clicks are repeatable, they have a lot of MOA adjustment, and there customer service is second to none if anythign does go wrong. I've got the VX3 LR, 6.5-20x50, 30mm tube, SF, fine duplex on my 338 EDGE and its about perfect IMO.

I to vote for the Leupold VX3 LR 6.5-20x50, or 8-25x50 with fine duplex reticles, SF, and 30mm tubes. There great scopes, not a lot of crap in your reticle, if you wanna click you dont need all that junk in there IMO. There clicks are repeatable, they have a lot of MOA adjustment, and there customer service is second to none if anythign does go wrong. I've got the VX3 LR, 6.5-20x50, 30mm tube, SF, fine duplex on my 338 EDGE and its about perfect IMO.

RM 25-06,
That is exactly what I was trying to say,but you stated it much better than I. "not a lot of crap in your reticle" "you dont need all that junk". "about perfect"
Well done
UB
ps "customer service is second to none" dang you RM 25-06 you said that also

I would keep an eye out on this site or benchrest central for used Leupys at a good price. If your patient, you can find some really good deals... You cant go wrong with a used leupold. There warranty is not limited to the original buyer...

I feel ya on the budget issue... I was in your shoes about 5 years ago. I"d like to get a NF, but I'm on a 22 year olds budget with a house payment, among all my other bills, and a wife now, LOL.

Theres nothing wrong with the VX2, 6-18x40 target, fine duplex scopes either. I have 2 of them currently. One is on my 7 RM, the other is on my 300 WBY. Neither of them need special bases to reach 1150 either. They are excellent scopes IMO, and can be had for $450. 18x with fine duplex is still plenty of power for 1K +. Just another option if your looking for a Leupold on a budget. The 6-18's were my first LR scopes untill I finally saved enough to pick up a Leupold MK4, 4.5-14x50 LR, but I eventually traded it for my vx3 6.5-20x50 LR that I currently have now. 14x with regular duplex just wasn't what I wanted in a LR scope after using it for a year or so. Not quite enough magnification for me personally at 1K and the regular duplex covered up to much of the target.

There is a VX3 LR 8.5-25x50, 30mm tube, SF, w/target dot for sale in the optics classifides for $725 shipped. Thats a pretty good deal...If I had the extra cash, I'd snag that up in a hurry.

The Leupold VX2/Vari-X II 6-18x is a good scope, and probably the best you can buy in the price range. I've used mine to kill a lot of animals, with more being on the far side of 400 then the near. Thing is, the rifle that it was on now wears a Leupold 6X with M3 turrets as one doesn't 18x for 6-700 yard shots...

"... warranty is not limited to the original buyer..." I have purchased used Leupolds at garage sales, pawn shops, and off of E-bay and then had them refurbished by Leupold for free. Other than external damage and abuse, the lifetime warranty covers everything.

I would also recommend Leupold. The VXII 4x12 or 6x18 would get the job done. IMHO, the VXIII 4.5x14 will cover it all, and with better glass. As painful as it is, it would be best to wait and save for the Leupold. You will be glad you did.

JD338

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.