Hunting the 260 Rem at 1,000 yards?

su37

I just purchased a Rock 6.5 5R SS 1/8 twist M24 contour barrel.

I'm seriously looking at the 260 Rem for the role of knocking off mule deer out to a 1,100 yards.

I own both 260 and 6.5x284 in sporter weight's so this heavier rifle will fit a longer reach role.

I love the 6.5x284 but am very concerned about throat wear, I could chase it or I could just go 260 rem or the AI version for brass life not so much mv.

Will the 140 Berger VLD whack em' good at that distance using a 260? Would I gain that much advantage going with the 284 case? I could load it down a bit..??

What are your thoughts on this?

I got my longest kill on a deer this past season with a regular 260 running 140gr Bergers in the 2800fps class , the shot was 944yds on a whitetail doe , the damage caused by the bullet at that range left me with the idea that its a perfectly suitable 1000yd deer gun.
Granted the deer down here are alot smaller than whats out west with a huge buck tipping the scales at 200lbs on the hoof so on an amimal that can be 50%-75% bigger , well that probably still would not stop me from shooting it at that range providing that the conditions were right.

as far as the accuracy , in my gun it was their plus some , energy hits harder at 1K than a 308 shooting a 175gr SMK does so in my oppinion its plenty , the biggest factor will be bullet performance , to tough a bullet and it just poke a hole to soft it may not penitrate well , i think that the 140gr Berger with its thin jacket and soft core would expand reliably at the speeds the 260 will gebnerate at 1000 probably even 1200yds

James,

That's great input, I appreciate it.

To get 2,800 fps with the 140, I would think you are running a longer barrel?

Not that it can't be done with a hotter load.

The barrel was a 27" 3 groove Lilja , very pleased with that barrel both accuracy and ease of cleaning. I was using 308 Lapua brass necked down and had turn the necks just barely but this gave the advantage of a tight neck chamber while also allowing to shoot factroy ammo.
I used Vihta Vouri N-165 powder , I had actualy run it up above 2900 fps a good bit but the accuracy was at 2800 and some change.

If I were to do it over with a 6.5 I'd run the same thing , I don't think that slight velocity increase with the 284 case is worth the added barrel wear and the same goes for the 260 Ackley.

I have to say though the regualr 284 winchester running a 180 Berger in the 2800fps range is very flat shooting and that likely what I'd go with if I were building a dedicated long range deer gun on a non magnum.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.