whats the diff. between 338RUM and 338 lap

1: Some smiths will not chamber the 338 Lapua on the Remington 700 due to the very large base which if you dont want a 700 it is no big deal. If you do want to use a 700 for a project, the 338 RUM is one of the next best things.

2: 338 Lapua brass is phenominal brass. They can take a pounding and still hold a primer. They last along time and can be reloaded many more times than RUM brass. The quality and concistency of the Lapua brass is much better.

3: Both are very accurate (inherently) and both produce good muzzle velocities. However, there are a number of improved versions of the 338 Lapua that will blow the RUM out of the water. Stock for stock, they are pretty close to eachother all being equal.

4: Lapua brass is more expensive and harder to come by. For some it is worth it and for others it isnt.

These are only a few points to concider. Some time ago I was faced with choosing between what caliber I wanted and the smith I wanted to use. I really wanted a 700 action and the most important thing was my smith choice. I also wanted a 30-338 LM improved. The smith would not build the LM on the 700 bolt. I would have rather used that particular smith than use another and get my LM. I settled for the 300 RUM instead. One of these days though, I will have a 338 LM based cartridge chambered rifle in my safe.

Michael summed it up very well.
If you use Norma brass in the Lapua I don't think ballistically there is a pennies worth of difference in the two, although dimensionally the Norma is much more consistant than the Rem.
Because of the harder more consistent Lapua brass I think the 338 Lapua is a far better choice if you are using a custom action and use Lapua brass. If you are going to use a commercial action such as a Rem 700 I would go with the 338 RUM or 338 Edge.
James

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.