AR 30 .338 Lapua or Rem Sendero .338RUM

Sniper: what you could do is, contact montana rifleman, google it. Their long action fits a 338 laupa. Have them true it, then have a smith put a custom barrel on ( I would prefer Krieger, because it cut, not pull button), and a McMillan stock on it. They have the patter for the action.

Then go for the 338 LM. Brass is better, and will last a long time!

Thats 600 for the action and truing,
300 for barrel
4-5-600 for one of the best stocks you can find

The labour for putting it together = ???

There you have very nice settup...

I hope you haven't gone with the rum yet, I have a shooting buddy of mine that (against my advice) bought the 338 rum. He shot my AR30 in 338LM and wanted the same thing but doesn't reload, so the rum was easier on the pocketbook. We went west to kill some pdogs and brought the big dogs out on the third day there. The dogs went in so we set some 16 oz water bottles up at 925 yards. the 300 grainers bucked the wind more and made the bottles dance at will. the rum had problems at the long range and I'm afriad once you get yours and find that you can do as well at 1000 with a 308 you might go ahead and try to go for the Lapua. I've done a great deal of research on the 338LM, and I can tell you that a properly set up rifle can do wonders at and past 1 mile. My friend gave up on his rum, and stuck with his 308. He got a kill out around 950 or so. I got the 338 as a substitute for the 50BMG, because it was more accurate, and has nearly the effective range. My ar30 had problems grouping until the barrel had 60 or so rounds thru it, so if you get one don't get disgruntled at first like I did. My box stock gun now shoots 5/8" 5 shot groups at 100y. If you're only shooting 600y, stick with a 308! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

The RUM can also be loaded with the SMK 300 grainers and performance would be nearly identical.

Your timing and thinkin' are about right. I made the jump from 270 win to 338 win and thorughly enjoyed it. Only problem is wasn't, as Kirby says, sexy and it left me a couple of hundred yards short as far as range goes.

In keeping with my cheap skate, do as much as I can myself, I bought a 338 RUM take off bbl from Kirby and gonna swap out the win. bbl.

Had the win shooting really will and even got the 252 WC and 250 SGK going 2930 with a different lot of RL-22.

We'll see what the 338 RUM does. Gonna do the full blown, Tubbs Final finish, thanks to GG /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif and do as much testing and LR gong ringing that I can. It's gonna shot my elk this year. (I hope, I hope, I hope)

Barrel only has to last till this time next year, then I'll (dreamin' here) send it off for some kind of a bit bigger cartridge, if I think I need it.

I like your choice of the RUM. It puts ya in the "big" leagues.

Happy shootin'

Word of warning though. If you put a brake on it, which old sissy me thinks is a must, do a perfect job on mounting the scope. I just stuck mine together like I did w/the 270 and coiled up about a quarter inch of alum. ahead of the rear ring. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif Plus it tore up the innards. Switched to a Weaver tactical and had no problems. Next scope will probably be another Super Sniper.

You get your's shootin'. I'll get mine shootin' and we'll go down and take on UncleB's hornet /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.