Whats the cartridge you LOVE to HATE?

Maybe I lied. I thought of a cartridge that i think is dumb at least - 6.5-300 weatherby.

26 Nosler was out and already to the point of "stupid overbore" but weatherby comes out with something that has the same case capacity but instead of the nice case design of the nosler it uses an antiquated belted case, and gives it pretty long throat so it can outrun the nosler. I'm not a huge believer of being "in tune" and "nodes" most of the time but if it were a thing, i could see this thing being a finicky basterd and changing tune every time out.

Maybe I lied. I thought of a cartridge that i think is dumb at least - 6.5-300 weatherby.

26 Nosler was out and already to the point of "stupid overbore" but weatherby comes out with something that has the same case capacity but instead of the nice case design of the nosler it uses an antiquated belted case, and gives it pretty long throat so it can outrun the nosler. I'm not a huge believer of being "in tune" and "nodes" most of the time but if it were a thing, i could see this thing being a finicky basterd and changing tune every time out.
Ha! Ha! True. I have one, but I haven't tinkered with it much to be honest with you.

I'm sure it's fast…!!! 😂

Working for one of the bigger ammo companies as an LE guy, I've shot a lot of gelatin. "jello" is not anatomy but does make for a consistent media for bullet performance comparisons. Most of the defensive calibers used by LE are doing a good job these days. Mostly due to a set of criteria (FBI Protocol) that's been established for terminal performance, i.e. penetration, weight retention and expansion. That being said, shot placement is still the most important factor. Part of my job is talking to the agencies and officers that are using our ammo and getting feed back on terminal performance. Most agencies have gone to the 9mm cartridge these days and the heavier 9mm bullets (124-147 grain) are doing a good job. The better bullets are either bonded or have some mechanical means of locking the core and jacket together. Bullets that stay together penetrate better and penetration is the second key factor in terminal performance. The 9 muther-muther is doing a good job and stats in the last few years are showing little diff in terminal performance of 9, .40 and .45acp. I still shoot them all when I do ballistic workshops and they all get good reliable penetration and generally expand very consistently. I do have the opinion that bigger (larger diameter) bullets offer an advantage but it is impossible to put a number on that advantage. There are just too many variables with every shooting. Departments just don't have the budget to train folks to handle heavier recoiling handguns in .40 or .45acp and any hit with a 9mm is better than a miss with a .45. That plus the fact capacity is always a concern these days due to a higher likelihood of multiple assailant encounters. shot placement, penetration are paramount, and expansion at any level is a bonus and the one thing that is hard to control. Hollow points that get plugged with clothing or any other material becomes an FMJ. Most companies are looking to other methods of generating expansion other than "hydraulic". Impact generated expansion seems to be the future for defensive ammo but does create a whole new set of issues.
Very informative. I find it interesting that most agencies are going with the heavier (124-147) instead of the standard 115 grain in the 9mm. I have noticed that most manufacturers are offering the heavier bullets in their self defense line.
I may have to get a box and see how they shoot from my CC pistol.

Very informative. I find it interesting that most agencies are going with the heavier (124-147) instead of the standard 115 grain in the 9mm. I have noticed that most manufacturers are offering the heavier bullets in their self defense line.
We figured out some time ago that penetration was a key factor in self defense ammo and that bullet weight, along with construction (weight retention) is the biggest factor in getting reliable penetration. Big game hunters have known for this stuff for years. Bullet have to penetrate to blood carrying organs and the heavier bullets are far more reliable in doing that. In a defensive handgun I generally shoot the heaviest for caliber I can get. The old 115 grain 9mm is what gave that caliber it's miserable reputation for poor stopping power.

Ha! Ha! True. I have one, but I haven't tinkered with it much to be honest with you.

I'm sure it's fast…!!! 😂
I know that a properly throated 26 Nosler is wicked fast.

156 EOL, mild pressure signs with a flattened primer but still very easy extraction.
IMG_1567.jpeg

I use 124 grain in compact pistols and 147 in full size.

Either Gold Dot or Federal HST.

The top of my useless list has 308 win and 30-06 on it.
For varmints, maybe pointless , but certainly not useless.
Let's be honest, everyone has one. Whether you had a bad experience or you just don't buy into all the hype, whats the cartridge that makes you roll your eyes as soon as you hear its
Cartridges don't make me roll my eyes, people do.

"Not a huge believer of being in tune and nodes"??? Whoaaa! Then you must not belive in all science, religion, and black magic too!. 😂

I'm replying to myself so as to redact the 270 win from my list, recently picked up a Marlin X7 in 270 solely because it was cheap and hardly used. Shoots everything so far very well including handloaded 110gr TTSXs at a shy 3400 fps.
No reason you can't love to hate a cartridge you own… I've got a bit of that with the 6.5 CM. I own two at the moment - and it's a great round - but it's not quite as awesome as the hype. On the other hand, not even 50 BMG loaded with depleted uranium can do the things that the 6.5 CM of the interwebz can do…