what to do with my factory rem308 vsf

timmyatnop

Iam thinking about turning my factory 308 into a more capable long range rifle . Thinking 260 or 243. I was hopping some of u guys might have some good ideas for me.

Capable of what? Taking an elk at 1200 yards? Capable of hitting the earth at 500 yards? :D Lol, all jokes aside:

What are your intended ideas behind the rifle? Tactical matches, varmint shooting, hole punching? Yardages you want to shoot, and how accurately do you want to do that?

FOod for thought!

Oh OK. Iam thinking whitetails will be the largest animals I ever shoot with this rifle. Lots of paper targets to. Mabey make it my go to coyote rifle. Iam thinking put a brake on it so I can see impact of bullets to. OK any ideas now? Thanks before hand.

Last edited:
According to the HITS calculator on the Hornday website, my shooter program, and a 175gr bullet, you should be able to effectively take a medium size game at 700 yards. Hornady defines "Medium size game" as:
Medium Game
500-900 H.I.T.S.
A rating of 501 to 900 applies to bullet/cartridge combinations that are applicable for medium-sized game such as deer, antelope, black bear, and caribou, or game weighing 50 to 300 pounds.

So, a .308 will do it, as the HITS factor I came up with is 762 (just about the middle of the road). Yep, it will do it.

The next portion of, "Will my gun caliber do it?" is shot placement. Can you, the shooter, place a first round vitals hit at 600-700 yards? For me, Yes I can. First time, every time, followed with a second round hit every time.

For my gun though, I went 300 winmag as I wanted elk stopping power at 900-1000 yards. Can I do that now? Nope. But I wanted to, so I wanted enough gun ahead of time. Just me though.

On paper, the .308 is inferior to just about every cartridge out there except the 7.62x39 and the 22lr. That said, I have seen first hand, a Model 99 .300 savage dropping a 3x3 buck at 450 yards. I have witnessed a .243 winchester blowing the shot.

Long story short: Yep, the .308 will do the job. Can you do your part and practice to get ethical, high percentage, first round hits in the vitals.

I think so I built a coyote siloet.out of 3/4 steel and plan to shot till my hearts is content. I been reading a lot about the 6.5 x47 and Iam thinking that sounds pretty good though.Mabey less recoiland better bullets. What do u think of that cartridge.

260 sounds dam good also.could have action blueprinted too. Mabey misleading brake also.

You dont need a brake on a .260 for sure...and typically if a smith is installing and chambering a barrel on your action they will lap the lugs and face the action...etc...etc...a sort of "minimum" blue print and you end up with a fine LD shooter. Just dont scrimp on barrel size....I went with the Rem Varmint taper and Im glad I did it

Nothing wrong with a .308 in my opinion, but if you switch it, the 6.5x47 looks like a good choice to me.

I have a friend that rebarreled his 308 to the 6.5x47 Lapua with a Kreiger barrel and he has shot many sub 5 shot 2 inch groups at 500 yds. One was 5/8 inch.
I am thinking of making my 308 a switch barrel gun in 6.5/300 WSM using a Kreiger barrel and of course another bolt for the different case head size.
I also saw one that Kevin built and would probably have him barrel my receiver.
Tarey

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.