What state for big deer and good seasons?

Ga use to have some monsters, but it seems like the more we manage , the less b&c class bucks we turn out. The county I live in probably has as big a combined typical and nontypical in the book as anywhere whitetails deer are killed, 191 4/8 typical and a 240 6/8 nontypical . They were both killed in the 60s and 70s, as were most of our states booners.
We probably average more 150 class deer than back in the booner hay days, but its tough hunting, very tough.
I watch vids of the midwest states and monsters out in the open in broad daylight and just shake my head. The big bucks we have must have underground bunkers they hide out in till after midnight . Every once in a while a mature buck will make a mistake when his nose gets a wif of irresistible doeness, but if he doesnt get dropped in the brief moment of brain dead, he will quickly corral his new girlfriend to some impenetrable tangle to throw woo till the deed is done. In Ga, bucks get wise young or they get dead before they get grown !

Last edited:
North Dakota. You have to draw but you'll get the opportunities your looking for on big deer.

Attachments

• F2FB1B2D-735F-4373-84A3-58468FDB67ED.jpeg
    F2FB1B2D-735F-4373-84A3-58468FDB67ED.jpeg
    51.4 KB · Views: 174
  • 9B9D5D88-DB6E-4FFA-8DBD-F22E6FF5F065.jpeg
    9B9D5D88-DB6E-4FFA-8DBD-F22E6FF5F065.jpeg
    855.7 KB · Views: 175
  • E153D5F9-40CF-4A39-B7D4-412A008E9AF5.jpeg
    E153D5F9-40CF-4A39-B7D4-412A008E9AF5.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 154
Access can be challenging at times depending on where your at. Most ranchers will let you on if you ask. There is public land scattered through the state with big chunks around Teddy Roosevelt National Park. Primitive campsites are available. This is as hard as any mountain hunt. Eastern ND is as flat as they come. Central is rolling hills. West is hunting in the badlands. Central and West have opportunities for both white tails and mule deer.

As far as odds, I'm not really sure. I'm sure the NDGF will have those for you.

Utah is the best bang for the buck you can apply twice on the same license and even general hunts are better than Oregon maybe not rutting but atleast there are deer

With the the exchange rate of US dollars to Australian Dollars, you could try hunting deer in Australia in your off season. I think the exchange rate is something like $1.00USD to $1.46AUD (Our dollar is just crap!!)

There are some pretty good places to go hunting. In the top end of Australia (Northern Territory) You can hunt water buffalo in NT or deer in Victoria and New South Wales.

https://ssaagunsales.com/listing/20906

The water buffalo are vermin in the top end of Australia. A bit like feral pigs.
If it was freezing with snow and ice, jump on a plane and have some fun hunting in Australia. This is another link http://www.biggameaustralia.com/main.htm