What bullets for big deer out to 500 yards?

7mmfan

I finally drew a buck tag for unit 21 in colorado, I dont plan on taking a 500 yard shot, but Id like to be prepared if I have to. I shoot a 7mm rem mag with a 24 inch barrel. I do load my own bullets so Id like to know what you guys are using. I am a shoulder shooter also, so I need something that breaks bones. I have looked and looked on here for this same question, I have found close, but not exactly what Im looking for.
Thanks for you looking

Thanks for the info so far guys, I appreciate it.
What about the swift scirocco or barnes tipped tsx?
What powder are you guys using? Im thinking either retumbo or h1000

140 berger, balistic tip, acubond or horn or sierra btsp. 168 berger. h1000 h4350 h4831

I use retumbo and H1000 in all my 7mm's behind 162 amaxs, sst's and 168 smks and 180 bergers. I have found accuracy to be about the same with both powders but retumbo is a little faster.

Jason

Looks like there is a wide range of powders (in terms of burn rates) that will work in the 7mag...H4350, RL22, H1000, Retumbo.

If it was me, I would stay with the Hodgdon powders as they are most temp stable.

Here's a good resource for reloading data: 284_4_168

A great resource to have is the Hodgdon burn rate chart. It includes burn rates for almost all powders whether Hodgdon makes them or not.

Burn Rate

you have to use the "extreme" hodgdon powders for all temps. not all the hodgdon powders are extreme

Glad to see you put limiting factors on your search. 500 yds max and deer. In my area the old timers are going back to bullets such as game king, Hornady and quite a few core lokt. It seems that bullet construction for this scenario has gone full circle and ended up back where it began, with traditional lead core jacketed bullets. Maybe its always been that way and I failed to notice.

I'd take a look at the ETips if your gun likes them. Good BC for weight and should have plenty of penetration and expansion at that range. 500-600 is about my max imposed range as well. I don't really go looking to take shots on game at that range but it's nice to know you've practiced for them and are prepared if you had too. There's plenty of evidence out there that a 7mm Mag could easily get out a couple hundred yards further with accurate loads and a proper bullet.

Seems once you get past 600 yards or so everything gets exponentially more expensive. Moderately priced factory guns with a little tweaking, mid level scopes, basic rangefinders, etc. can easily get you to 500-600 yards.

7mmFan,

What does your rifle like now? You said you reload now correct. 7mm bullets cover a fair sized range, but really all will handle any deer to 500 yards, including 120's. If you have a load that works and is 1-1.2 moa to 500 yards, instead of changing too much you might use what you know and start to practice. I too shoot a 7mmRM and have had good luck on deer/elk with both the 168 berger and 160 accubond. Powders include 4350 on fast end and Retumbe/H1000/7826 on slow end and everything in between. Bergers do like slower powder in the heavier 168. I doubt your rifle will stabilize the heavier 180 bergers, unless it's custom.

Good luck with your tag.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.