What state for big deer and good seasons?

Skimbleshanks

Im starting to think about geting out of Oregon to hunt deer next year. Looking for recomendations on states that have good populations of mature deer. Mule deer or white tail. Also over the counter tags and a season that runs through the rut. Here in western Oregon the black tail are sneeky elusive and often small. Get a shot at a legal buck take it cause another opportunity probably wont come around. Our season ends at the end of October or very beginning of November. Just before rut. I hear about people in other states passing up deer and or seeing multiple bucks in one day. I want in on some of that action. Not the 28 days of hunting to shoot a forky that I'm used to.

68CB395B-A69A-48F6-9E09-A7FF4B907B93.jpeg
Tennessee ain't too bad either

Last edited:
I think you had better hang up the rifle in Oregon if you want to hunt the rut....
I early season hunted elk....passed up way more I had arrows for...but got to see some huge blacktail during early elk season....
Then I statted chasing the blacktail rut.....late archery starts in southern Oregon and runs north as lower units close....killed my biggest east of ashland....148"......
Saw bigger up in canyonville area....and saw bruisers up around Eugene area and sweet home and then mount hood......
Just gotta pick your poison.....and there are late coastal blacktail archery and mzldr seasons.....had a monster within 20 yards...but the yearling he was sniffing took off like a jet...and as I would..he followed.......tail is tail........
I passed up a lot of bucks looking for a wall hanger coastal blacktail...saw several...just couldn't finish the deal......even saw a huge buck hit by car in Medford area....died under a guys deck.....i scored that buck 156"....i passed him up the year before....just up from the guys house.....

Last edited: