What situation was your break through moment in reloading?

DJ Fergus

Since I don't think any of us were born reloading, we all started somewhere with a particular rifle. Just thought it would be interesting to know some of your break through or enlightenmet moments when you first started reloading and in particular reloading for a difficult rifle and your break through to get it shooting accurately. Im sure that some of you first started reloading for a rifle that was easy to find an accurate load for but at some point most of us struggled with a particular rifle.

I'm working on my most taxing project right now. It's a CA Mesa in 300 Winchester Magnum. I've had plenty of other rifles that all shot well and I could generally just load up something similar to what everyone else was doing and have solid load. This 300 is a stubborn one. I've tried 6 different bullets and 2 powders and have only been able to break the sub moa mark a couple times. My latest testing has brought me around to the 181 Hammer Hunters. The first 5 shot group wasn't sub minute due to what I am hoping was a flyer on my part. 4 out 5 went into 1 ragged hole. So far I have about 325 rounds through the rifle.

Right now I'm focusing on my brass prep and charge weights. I'm doing a .002 bump on the shoulder, tumbling after both before and after sizing. I'm weighing powder charges on a beam scale and digital. I'll shoot a couple more groups to confirm the powder charge, then I'll start playing with seating depths.

Last edited:
For me, I had been reloading for my rifles, but just doing ladder tests for pressure, etc. I had been reading about bullet seating depths, and had just made me a "mic cartridge" to find the lands on a Remington 700 VTR .22-250. I was having some pretty good luck with Vmax bullets, and I had some 52 grain Amax that I just started working with. So I took my most accurate load to date, and adjusted the seating depths. I had 5 rounds loaded that were just kissing the lands. I decide to fire the first shot high to warm the barrel. The next shot hit the target, then the next 3 cut a slot in the target. That's when it really hit me, that it is definitely more than weighing charges accurately. It also made me realize how fun the hobby is!

Here is the target in question.

Target_zps33275f59.jpg

You can see the old VTR here with my Savage 14 .325, Ruger MKII 7mm RM and Ruger MKII 300 WM.

Bolt_guns_zpsca06778f.jpg

For me, I had been reloading for my rifles, but just doing ladder tests for pressure, etc. I had been reading about bullet seating depths, and had just made me a "mic cartridge" to find the lands on a Remington 700 VTR .22-250. I was having some pretty good luck with Vmax bullets, and I had some 52 grain Amax that I just started working with. So I took my most accurate load to date, and adjusted the seating depths. I had 5 rounds loaded that were just kissing the lands. I decide to fire the first shot high to warm the barrel. The next shot hit the target, then the next 3 cut a slot in the target. That's when it really hit me, that it is definitely more than weighing charges accurately. It also made me realize how fun the hobby is!

Here is the target in question.

View attachment 139384

You can see the old VTR here with my Savage 14 .325, Ruger MKII 7mm RM and Ruger MKII 300 WM.

View attachment 139385
Some fine looking rifles you got there. Got to love the old skeleton stock Ruger! We share similar taste in rifles.

Lol when I was 12 years old I got a RBCS kit for x-mad. Dad turned me loose without any supervision. I was under the impression if some was good, more must be better, and too much was just about right. I was loading a 222 mag. If I had a larger case I probably would have gotten hurt. Lost several primers, got splattered several times but boy would that rifle shoot. Still have the rifle. Haven't shot it in 30+ years. Thanks for this thread now I got the itch to see if it will still shoot. However, I won't be using any old rounds I find. ;)

Lol when I was 12 years old I got a RBCS kit for x-mad. Dad turned me loose without any supervision. I was under the impression if some was good, more must be better, and too much was just about right. I was loading a 222 mag. If I had a larger case I probably would have gotten hurt. Lost several primers, got splattered several times but boy would that rifle shoot. Still have the rifle. Haven't shot it in 30+ years. Thanks for this thread now I got the itch to see if it will still shoot. However, I won't be using any old rounds I find. ;)
That's pretty funny, good story!

I'm not a kid, and I stuck the bolt on my 338 WM so many times lol

I guess I've had a lot of dumb luck. I've been at it since 2008 and so far, I've been able to get every rifle I've ever owned 1/2 MOA or better without too much difficulty. To be fair, most of them have been standard chamberings (22-250, .243, 308, etc.) on good solid platforms, model 700's and the like. Also, I'd have to add that most of this "success" was realized at limited ranges (100-200 yards).

A few years ago, when I got access to 150 acres where I could reach out a bit, I became more interested in "long range" hunting, particularly groundhogs and deer. That's when I began to add skills/equipment to my repertoire. I started to pay more attention to things like neck tension, concentricity, seating depth, etc. Then I found Panhandle Precision on YouTube and I think Sam's videos really helped me focus on the stuff that helped me up my game. I still consider myself an advanced intermediate and I learn new stuff all the time. It truly is a rewarding hobby that you can take as far as you want to go and have a lot fun (and a bit of frustration) along the way.

I guess I've had a lot of dumb luck. I've been at it since 2008 and so far, I've been able to get every rifle I've ever owned 1/2 MOA or better without too much difficulty. To be fair, most of them have been standard chamberings (22-250, .243, 308, etc.) on good solid platforms, model 700's and the like. Also, I'd have to add that most of this "success" was realized at limited ranges (100-200 yards).

A few years ago, when I got access to 150 acres where I could reach out a bit, I became more interested in "long range" hunting, particularly groundhogs and deer. That's when I began to add skills/equipment to my repertoire. I started to pay more attention to things like neck tension, concentricity, seating depth, etc. Then I found Panhandle Precision on YouTube and I think Sam's videos really helped me focus on the stuff that helped me up my game. I still consider myself an advanced intermediate and I learn new stuff all the time. It truly is a rewarding hobby that you can take as far as you want to go and have a lot fun (and a bit of frustration) along the way.
You picked some good case designs to start reloading with but still great groups at any rate.

I've only give up on one rifle & sold it. 270wsm and it would shoot factory federal fusions into one inch groups all day long but with handloads I would get 1/2 moa and it would open up to moa with a flyer on occasion and I just didn't like the fast snappy recoil velocity of it anyway and didn't want to dump alot of time into it. I would rather shoot a 300 winmag of the same weight ( more ft/lbs recoil but more of a push than a fast snap that the wsm had) but I may do another 270 wsm in the future on a heavier platform.

I've only give up on one rifle & sold it. 270wsm and it would shoot factory federal fusions into one inch groups all day long but with handloads I would get 1/2 moa and it would open up to moa with a flyer on occasion and I just didn't like the fast snappy recoil velocity of it anyway and didn't want to dump alot of time into it. I would rather shoot a 300 winmag of the same weight ( more ft/lbs recoil but more of a push than a fast snap that the wsm had) but I may do another 270 wsm in the future on a heavier platform.
I absolutely loved my .325 WSM! The recoil was there, but I had a Limbsaver on it and it never seemed like a hard snap. I should have kept that Savage and had a barrel made for a 338 Federal reamed to 338 WSM. The lack of bullet types is why I sold it. It was "boring" I guess you could say.

I absolutely loved my .325 WSM! The recoil was there, but I had a Limbsaver on it and it never seemed like a hard snap. I should have kept that Savage and had a barrel made for a 338 Federal reamed to 338 WSM. The lack of bullet types is why I sold it. It was "boring" I guess you could say.
338wsm would be a cool round. I wish I would have went 7mm wsm and pushed 180s. I've owned two 270wsms. 140s @ 3200fps has some snap to them in a light weight rifle but I think with heavier bullets in the larger caliber wsm's traveling slower would be more effective with less recoil velocity.

If I have determined that everything is setup appropriately for a specific rifle and it comes down to not being able to find a load, then I get rid of the rifle. Something is not right and I will likely fight with it from now on. You can easily spend as much on ammo as the rifle is worth chasing a load. In truth it is usually possible to get most rifles to group well but when that load has a very narrow margin for error with one specific formula it becomes counterproductive to continually try to match/maintain that load.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.