what shipping company to use for shipping a rifle action

bigrich954rr

I am about to ship off my action to have my rifle built. does it matter who i use ups or fedx. anything i should know before i send it out. just trying to cover my base first time sending a action out.

Either one will do it for you, no problem. I've used both but I usually use UPS because I get better delivery service from the UPS guys. If it's the same where you are, you have to go to a main UPS branch to send any type of firearm etc. The small UPS stores around town can't handle the firearms here in my town and I have to go to the main UPS branch. Just be sure to insure it for what it's worth and tell them exactly what it is.

Good luck with your new APS build. I know you'll be happy. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

If you use UPS and the action is expensive and you insure it they will want to inspect the packing. Do not seal the top of the box as they will cut it open. They require 2 inches of foam on all sides. The box is not allowed to rattle or bump. Everything must be tight fitted inside the box.

Next day air is expensive but it isn't handled by as many people who might take a liking to your fancy expensive action. If you know the email of your gunsmith and take it with you then you can enter his email into the tracking system and both he and you will recieve tracking notices.

When you fill in the portion that describes what it is you can use the word "reciever". I did as Kirby suggested and wrote "Nesika M Reciever". Even though the form had on it what it was the clerk asked me what I was shipping and I said "A reciever" and she just nodded her head like she knew what a reciever was.

When shipping brass cases, euphmisms that are usesful are "brass units". Everybody knows what a "unit" is. Sometimes I use the term "brass fittings". Everybody knows what a fitting is. Fittings go right on the dowhackey next to the thingamajig and are connected to the whatchamacallit.

Bullets are "alloy cylinders"

Bubble wrap is good stuff. Ethafoam is really good stuff (it is found in computer boxes - an action will fit just right in a laptop foam packing).

I agree on going to the main store. One other thng is to call and see when the truck departs for the airport because next day air is only if you get there early enough for it to get on the truck to the airport.

Bigrich,

UPS seems to be best, but they are still a problem most of time. You can get on their website to get the lowdown on the regs.

From what I understand, as long as the firearm (or serialzed action) is not being tranferred (ownership) there is no problem shipping it. However, my local UPS office almost goes into a panic if I bring a gun in to be shipped. I have without success tried to explain their own policy to them. Simply put they refuse to ship a gun without an FFL. (My local Fed-X office is the same.)

In order to get around this I take the stock off and put it in one box, put the barreled action another box and ship them. I lable them as "gun parts" and they have no problem with that even though they understand the two boxes together make a "gun". Go figure............ /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

The desk clerk at your UPS office may be more informed on their own rules, but don't count on it.

When returning from a hunt in Alaska last fall, I tried to ship my own rifle to myself at both Fed-X and UPS. Both refused to take it without an FFL.

Long story to say this. If all you are shipping is an action, just put it in a box and put as the description "gun parts" and you will not have a problem.

[ QUOTE ]
When shipping brass cases, euphmisms that are usesful are "brass units". Everybody knows what a "unit" is. Sometimes I use the term "brass fittings". Everybody knows what a fitting is. Fittings go right on the dowhackey next to the thingamajig and are connected to the whatchamacallit.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats great! I once shipped a box of "High Pressure Brass Gaskets" The guy affixing the label said "car guy huh?" I said, "yep"
"Machine parts" forks well in place of just about any componet for a firearm as well.

buffalobob - abinok:

Have you guys actually had problems with UPS or FedEx when trying to ship firearms or gun related items, or do you just think you might if you said what the box really contained???

I've shipped complete firearms and every conceivable type of related item such as actions/receivers, barrels, barreled actions, cases, bullets etc., and have always called it what it really is and have never had a problem. Maybe I've just got a really knowledgable UPS counter person. I've never had to open a package to document what's in it because of the description or the amount I insured it for and they've never checked or said anything about, how it was packaged. If you send something that can and will rattle or make a noise, like bulk brass cases, you just tell them about the rattle ahead of time and lable it accordingly and they ship it no problem.

It was explained to me one time, by UPS, that should the freak accident happen and, say a truck was to wreck, and boxes got broken open and or damaged and contents were loose that it was much easier to identify items and owners if the description accurately fits the item in the package. I know it'll never happen but, just in case............

Don't quote me on this but I believe that whan shipping an action or complete firearm, that one of the parties involved has to have an FFL. You can ship a firearm that you already own to a mfg. or gunsmith, and they can ship it back to you with no problem. You can't ship to a private individual that doesn't have an FFL is my understanding. This is one thing that UPS has questioned, and that is, if I'm shipping a firearm to say, Kirby, they want to know if he's a dealer or gunsmith and they want it addressed to the business and not an individual.

I'd like to hear stories if some of you have had problems with UPS or FedEx not accepting packages because it contained brass cases, bullets, actions, firearms etc., and you told them exactly what was in it. Maybe I've just beel lucky in having a knowledgable UPS counter person here.

SS7MM

[ QUOTE ]
If you use UPS and the action is expensive and you insure it they will want to inspect the packing. Do not seal the top of the box as they will cut it open. They require 2 inches of foam on all sides. The box is not allowed to rattle or bump. Everything must be tight fitted inside the box.

Next day air is expensive but it isn't handled by as many people who might take a liking to your fancy expensive action. If you know the email of your gunsmith and take it with you then you can enter his email into the tracking system and both he and you will recieve tracking notices.

[/ QUOTE ]

The first trip they cut my box open and checked the padding and I only had an inch on the ends -good ethafoam so it would not be have been a problem, but I had to go back home and find a larger box and repack everything.

You see where I live geographically and you ask if I am going into a place and yell out "hey, I got a gun in a box."

I may be somewhat crazy but I am not stupid. I drive an extra 30 minutes to get out to a UPS where people are a little more accepting of pickup trucks and guns. Where I live people complain that my pickup truck runs down the neighborhood property values and that my vette restoration project is against the law (which it is ). But they only complain to my wife, not me, being as I often have a big wrench in one hand a beer in the other. And they don't seem to want to talk to the wrench.

I happen to know a little bit about this since I have been gainfully employed by UPS for about 18 years /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif If you are shipping an actual rifle, the only way and individual can legally ship it is to ship it to an FFL holder. Most gunsmiths have an FFL, so this should not be a problem. Just have your smith fax you (or e-mail you) a copy of his FFL and take it with you when you ship it. I concur that you need to take it to your local UPS center and NOT to a UPS Store or a Mail Boxes Etc. Ask your driver where his center is and take it there. Since an un-barreled, action is still considered "Controlled" by the BATF, the same requirements are in effect. A good alternative to Next Day Air (which is quite expensive) is Next Day Air Saver. It is still handled by a smaller amount of people, still guaranteed delivery the next day but has no commitment time (as opposed to 10:30 AM or 12:00AM or whatever your zip codes time happens to be). 2nd Day Air and 3 Day Select are also good alternatives at a MUCH more reasonable price. The main reason you should honestly describe the contents of a package is because of the insurance. If you fail to accurately describe the contents, good luck on UPS paying a claim if the product is lost or damaged. Just my .02 woth but I think you are better off going by the book. I sent some 300 H and H brass to a member of this board not too long ago. On the description, I just put down "brass stuff". When the guy in FL got the brass, he said it looked like it had been run over by Dale Jarrett! Some of it was not salvagable. Had I accurately described the contents, I could have filed a claim and got paid for the damaged brass (up to $100 without any extra insurance costs). Since I didn't, however, I was stuck with owing Keith an apology and nothing else. I knew I didn't like Dale Jarrett for some reason /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Hope this helped!

BTW, buffalobob, "alloy cylinders" is good /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

I'm a driver for UPS. A good hint is when you fill out the shipping label, I'll use Kirby Allen as an example. Put Kirby Allen Inc. not Kirby Allen custom guns or gunsmith!!! In big Hubs this will keep the thief's from thinking it's a gun. It's also smart to pay extra 1.50 and get an adult signature required. This will help in case the main UPS driver is off or on vacation from leaving it on the porch, because some gunsmiths work out of there houses and the fill in driver might not know that a gunsmith lives there. It also let's the driver know that it is something of value, and can't be left with out a signature.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.