How to sell and ship a rifle?

Lovellr653

Hey Folks,

I've got a rifle or two I am looking to part ways with. I'd like to post them in the Classifieds here, only trouble is I have no idea what to do in regards to shipping. With so many different state laws I'm assuming the safest bet is to require it be shipped to an FFL? Also what couriers can be used? I did a rough and conservative quote on the UPS website and shipping was going to be between 200-500$, which seems improbable to me. Any help would be appreciated; I'd like to get the rifles moved efficiently and painlessly for potential buyers and myself.

Thank you in advance for the help!

I can't speak for a complete rifle ,but I shipped a barreled action by Fedx and I think it was about $18.00.
The post office was over $30.00 and UPS would not take it.
Strange though Karl (Kampfeld) shipped it back to me UPS????

Firearms sold to an individual must be received by an FFL who runs a federal background check on the individual to whom the firearm has been sold. Some states require a firearm sold from individual to individual be transported only thru an FFL on both ends. Firearms may not be shipped directly to an individual except in the case the firearm was initially shipped to a gunsmith or repair facility from the owner. UPS will no longer ship firearms or firearm parts. FFL holders that register with UPS get a waiver. Firearms can be shipped by USPS and Fedex. I don't know the regulations that Fedex imposes (haven't used them). USPS shipping costs are based on weight and package dimensions. Most, if not all FFL's require a copy of the sender's driver's license or i.d. to be sent with the firearm. If I remember correctly, hand guns are required to ship overnite. Beware shortcutting any of the reg's as the penalties are federal crimes and costly to your life in in the real world!

This info is by no means complete and I hope others will chime in where I've missed something.

p.s. The last rifle I shipped halfway across the country by USPS cost about $65...

Firearms sold to an individual must be received by an FFL who runs a federal background check on the individual to whom the firearm has been sold. Some states require a firearm sold from individual to individual be transported only thru an FFL on both ends. Firearms may not be shipped directly to an individual except in the case the firearm was initially shipped to a gunsmith or repair facility from the owner. UPS will no longer ship firearms or firearm parts. FFL holders that register with UPS get a waiver. Firearms can be shipped by USPS and Fedex. I don't know the regulations that Fedex imposes (haven't used them). USPS shipping costs are based on weight and package dimensions. Most, if not all FFL's require a copy of the sender's driver's license or i.d. to be sent with the firearm. If I remember correctly, hand guns are required to ship overnite. Beware shortcutting any of the reg's as the penalties are federal crimes and costly to your life in in the real world!

This info is by no means complete and I hope others will chime in where I've missed something.

p.s. The last rifle I shipped halfway across the country by USPS cost about $65...
That's very helpful information, thank you!

That's how we are going to have problems in this country. No longer will it be the government trying to hold back the 2nd, it will be corporations.

Hopefully a smaller company speaks up and can take over shipping from those big corps. I've seen credit card processors do the same thing in the past couple of years. Smaller processors have popped up to take sales for guns and ammunition.

The last time I looked into this, (2022), the only way an individual could ship a rifle to the manufacturer, a gunsmith, or an FFL, is through USPS.

Recent Posts