Need help shipping a firearm!!!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by B23, Mar 28, 2011.

  1. B23

    B23 Well-Known Member

    Oct 30, 2008
    I have a question for all of you who have sold and shipped guns to someones FFL. I sold a rimfire and the purchaser is sending me a copy of the FFL for the place he wants me to ship it to. Purchaser said I have to enclose a copy of the FFL and a copy of MY drivers license inside the box along with the gun. I'm not sure why I, if at all, have to send a copy of my drivers license. Maybe I'm just being over paranoid but this doesn't seem right to me but if that's the law then that is what I will do.

    Can anyone please clear this up for me?

  2. nitrousmudbogger

    nitrousmudbogger Well-Known Member

    Feb 6, 2011
    Anyone can send a firearm. Only FFL holders can accept a firearm. There is no need for any info on your part other than the person accepting the firearms info as so the dealer can call them when it comes in. Then the new owner will have to file a 4473 form and be approved by FBI(standard for buying a gun)
    The only snag to this is if the FFL you are sending it to wants more info. Ive seen some real useless info requested by them. Usually because they dont know how to transfer a gun or are paranoid about transactions.
    I would suggest calling the FFL holder and asking if they need any other info.

  3. dirtball

    dirtball Well-Known Member

    Jan 18, 2007
  4. B23

    B23 Well-Known Member

    Oct 30, 2008
    That was a BIG help. Thank you very much for posting the link. After reading that thread it's not unusual for the receiving FFL to ask for a photo copy of the seller's DL.

    Again, thank you for the information.
  5. BountyHunter

    BountyHunter Writers Guild

    Jun 13, 2007
    You can ship any firearm to a FFL dealer.

    UPS will normally ask to see a copy of the FFL for the receiving dealer, so have it handy.

    USPS may or may not, but still have it handy.

    I recommend insurance and a delivery confirmation (.80 cents) to document and track the package.

    There is monetary reason some dealers require dealer to dealer. It creates two transfer fees for the dealer. One for the gun going out and one for the gun going in.

    I just had a discussion with a dealer on the receiving end of a trade this week and he stated he had to have an FFL as it was federal law. We agreed to disagree and quoted him the law. In the end it came down to his transfer fee if the guy on that end found out he did not have to transfer it to the dealer to ship it out.

    Here is some good info and direct quotes of law and off the ATF site.


    How Can I Sell a Gun to Someone In Another State?
    [FONT=Arial,Helvetica]A very popular phrase in the firearms ads is "My FFL to yours." While that certainly would work, only one FFL holder is required, one in the state of destination. Here is the first question and answer from the ATF Site FAQ's Section:[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=-1](B1) To whom may an unlicensed person transfer firearms under the GCA?[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=-1]A person may sell a firearm to an unlicensed resident of his State,[/SIZE][/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=-1]if the buyer is not prohibited by law from receiving or possessing a[/SIZE][/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=-1]firearm, or to a licensee in any State. A firearm other than a curio or[/SIZE][/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=-1]relic may not be transferred interstate to a licensed collector.[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=-1][18 U.S.C 922(a)(3) and (5), 922(b)(3), 27 CFR 178.29][/SIZE][/FONT]

    [FONT=Arial,Helvetica]Only one FFL holder is needed, in the state you are sending it to.[/FONT] [FONT=Arial,Helvetica]So if an individual in one state wants to sell a gun to an individual in another state, the seller is not required by law to find an FFL holder. Only the buyer must find one.[/FONT] [FONT=Arial,Helvetica]Here are the steps:[/FONT]
    1. [FONT=Arial,Helvetica]The seller, for their protection, needs to verify the receiver is a licensed dealer. They need to ask for the receiver's FFL Number.[/FONT]
    2. [FONT=Arial,Helvetica]The seller should then go to this website to verify the license and address: ATF FFL Ez Check Site.[/FONT]
    3. [FONT=Arial,Helvetica]They should print the screen they get.[/FONT]
    4. [FONT=Arial,Helvetica]They can then legally ship the gun to the receiver, but only at the address verified at the Ez Check Site.[/FONT]
    5. [FONT=Arial,Helvetica]The buyer will then go to the receiver's place of business, fill out the forms and pass the background check.[/FONT]