What scope to start with, 100-1000yd. hunting?

DanielLudwig

Im just getting started on buying my own long range equipment, and im looking for a good scope to start with to hunt deer with. my only real stipulations are no fixed power scopes, as i do ocasionally have to shoot a deer on the move at 100-200yds and while that doesnt require a huge field of view, id like to have some options, and hopefully something that will pull in some light for those last 15 minutes of daylight shots. that being said i should also note that im a 21 year old college student...so please be nice to my wallet if at all possible!
thanks
Dan

I would recommend the new Nikon buckmaster SF 4X14 mil dot or crosshair scope. I have a mil dot scope and am very impressed with the optical quality, low light performance and turrents. Mine repeats just fine.

The one gives my all time favorite scopes the Elite 4000/4200 scopes a good nip at the heels. When you throw in that the Nikons cost under $270 delivered, best bang for the buck.

Put them in Burris Sig Zee rings with inserts and you have a formidable set up for any distance you are likely to shoot at.

Jerry

sightron sII 6x24 target scope, or new sII side focus. Sightron have good glass and track very well. They also have all the MOA you will need for 1000 yard shooting. Good Luck

Jerry, thank you for posting that. I am in the process of helping my bro bring his shooting to a new level (note my post in bullets bbls and balisitcs) and I was eyeballin' that exact scope (the buckmaster) earlier this evening. Do you really like the turrets? Could you post a picture of them since the catalog picts don't ever show any detail.

Do they offer a screw on sunshade for them? Are there threads to use if we had to have a shade manufactured? He really wants a sunshade and I dont blame him. I have a 6" on my Leo and love it.

Now I'm really excited about this project.

Here is one of the pages that I was looking at.

4ked Horn,

The scope shown in your link is to the last generation of buckmaster. The new ones have a slightly different shape to them (more rounded, I personally have no preference there) but they also have a side focus and I think improved glass, maybe improved mechanicals too. I'm pretty sure this new one is the scope Jerry was refering too. I just ordered one myself, but it isn't hear yet so I can't give you any first hand information. Bill Bailey hooked me up, but you can get them about anywhere that carries Nikon.

Try this:
http://theopticzone.com/detail.aspx?ID=3613

Hope that helps,
Carl

Jerry is spot on, the new Nikone are untouchable for the money. Just make sure you get the new Buckmasters scope.

Jerry and Charles are "spot on". Thanks to Jerry my brood has traded in ( yup , they gave us money for used Leupold vxII "s towards Nikon Buckmasters 4.5x14 with side focus. These are probably the best deal out there no matter whether you go up in price or not.

Understand this, I have Leupolds up to their top dollar Mk 4 's and these new Nikons are going to make Leupold sit up and take notice . Which I don't think is a bad thing cause without competition things go flat.

We have 4 of them now , I haven't tested them all yet but if the rest do what the first one did tracking so forth , wow !

Jim

Keep the reports Coming please.
I am in the market for a good low cost LR scope as well.
The buckmasters sound like a pretty good buy.

Does anyone know how these scopes handle recoil? I would put one on my .300 win if it would take it. Thanks

Daniel

When I was 21....I was "young and dumb"; always tried to buy cheap and in the long run....dang it...I always wound up letting that philosophy cost me more dough!!

Choose wisely....buy quality....and you'll save $$$$$!! For many years I've shot Leupold scopes; their premium line, all equipped with their target knobs and I've NEVER had any problems with any that I've ever owned of which I probably have ten now on various rifles. I pulled out my M70 .300 Win Mag a while back as I was going elk hunting in Colorado and I hadn't had time to fire it all year but on this one day I took it out to the range...drove to the 600 yd. line....turned the knob to the appropriate number for that distance...and took 3 shots at a T1 plate measuring 16"x16". All 3 rds. hit DFC...I smiled....and 2 weeks later killed a nice bull with this rig. Is Leupold considered one of the more "exotic" scope lines today? Nope! But I can tell you this: "They've always worked excellent for me and I dare say I burn probably more powder per year than anyone on this board with the exception of this past year when business has kept me from the range!"

Good luck!!

Jerry. I got a chance to sneak in and look at one of these scopes (the nikon) and I must say, if it is as durable as it is good looking it is going to make a nice scope for my brother. And they do make a sunshade for it. Costs about $24 on line. Neat and clean shorty turrets on it as well. Thanks for the heads up on this little unit. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Sorry to not respond sooner but was out using the scope. got a very nice 4X4 mulie with it. POI was spot on.

yes, I am really impressed with the optics and mechanicals. Low light is certainly better then the 'law' allows me to shoot in. Resolution inside 700yds is going to be very tough to beat. Starts to loose perfect crispness around 1000m (maybe just my eyes???).

Mounted on a Savage in 270 launching 150gr SST's at 3000fps. About 300rds fired and nothing has moved or broke. Certainly not a hard kicker but that is all I can report.

I really like the 'hunter' knobs. Low profile yet allow full adjustment and have a vernier scale like a true target turrent. Keeps from hanging up on clothes or bush when walking around. Same idea as on elite 4200 target scopes.

so far, all adjustments have been spot on. I think they will handle good solid useage but too new to know for sure. Everything moves smooth and feels like it should cost over $1000. No joking. Clicks are precise and have a nice click feel/sound.

I too am glad that products like this have allowed superb performance to reach the average budget. If the mechanicals continue to be this good, they will challenge the very best on the market at any price.

It's going to be hard for me to justify the extra cost for a Nikon Tactical now (BUT...you only live once). Can't wait for the new gen Monarchs.

You will get just slightly better optics when spending several times more money but scopes aren't for glassing but aiming. This the Nikon B will do just fine as far as you can hit.

Please post details on where to get the sun shade. Didn't think one would fit.

Great stuff...

Jerry

A link with pics of the turrents.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...A%3AIT&rd=1

Thanks for the extra info. I will look for the shade on line again and post a link.

The sunshade actually comes with the 6x18x40 model (with the taller turrets) for the one price and we took it out of the box and put it on the 4.5x14x40. Since the scope has a sort of euro look to it with "melted" edges the shade looks like a little of an afterthought as a simple cylinder. But it ain't enough to negate all the other benefits. It would also make the addition of flip up scope caps do-able on the front. On the rear you might be stuck not having them since it has the rapid focus ring at the back end of the scope not to mention the euro taper at the back as well.

Sportsmans wharehouse has it priced at $279.99

Here is the link for the sunshade model 8053 as mentioned at the bottom of the Tech Specs sheet here.

Almost forgot, Congrats on the 4X4. You got what I got, squared. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.