What power hunting scope

rcoody

This is strictly a question for a hunting rifle for the mountain west. Must balance weight and power. Of course long shots are quite possible but so is carrying that rifle up and down steep grades at altitude for mile and miles.

I would prefer input from those who have been there and done that.

This is strictly a question for a hunting rifle for the mountain west. Must balance weight and power. Of course long shots are quite possible but so is carrying that rifle up and down steep grades at altitude for mile and miles.

I would prefer input from those who have been there and done that.

Because of my eye sight, I take advantage of the scope's higher magnification if all possible.

Below is my .270 AI topped with 4-20x50 Burris Veracity. The rifle as seen is ~10 lbs. It is NOT an ideal mountain carry rifle or in the thickets but I do take her up and down the Montana mountain wilderness. As far as balance goes, my set up in NOT meant to be shot unsupported because it is front heavy due to the 30" Lilja barrel.

In short, this boils down to personal preference, and the end user's willingness and ability to carry the extra weight. This is just me but I stopped worrying about a few ounces or so of weight and concentrated on a year around physical conditioning instead ... but have to admit it gets harder and harder to keep up with the young ones. :D:cool:gun)

Good luck and happy safe hunting/shooting.

1116141048_zps31535348.jpg

............Because of my eye sight, I take advantage of the scope's higher magnification if all possible.

In short, this boils down to personal preference, and the end user's willingness and ability to carry the extra weight. This is just me but I stopped worrying about a few ounces or so of weight and concentrated on a year around physical conditioning instead ... but have to admit it gets harder and harder to keep up with the young ones. :D:cool:gun)

Good luck and happy safe hunting/shooting.

1116141048_zps31535348.jpg

I can't say it better, but will add different style users, will have different end points. How far are you going to go, is camp also on your back, are horses in the mix, solo vs a partner, how will you get your game out if successful. Altitude is as big an issue as any of the other variables in the west.

8-9lbs weighted toward optics these days is about as good as I get, and with the exception of H20, a four legged friend for the rest of it.

Mine has a Leupold VX-6 4-24X52. I don't carry a spotting scope. When I find some game with the binos and want to take a closer look I can. This scope allows me easily to see 6.5mm bullet holes in white or cardboard at over 400 yards. Ready to go with its 26" barrel it weighs 8 pounds. My son-in-law's rifle has a Bushnell 6500 4 1/2-30X50. With its 28" barrel it weighs about nine pounds. It also allows seeing 6.5mm bullet holes at over 400 yards.

In the past I used a 4-16X40. What we use now are more of a good thing.

Wildcater's recommendation of using the higher powder scope to replace a spotting scope is a pretty good one.

I have 2 rifles rifles that shoot well out to 800 yards. Would not hesitate to take that shot with either if conditions are right. Thing is I take almost all of my shots with them at 6x or 8x on the scope. The reason I do this is to have a wide field of view and be able to spot my own shots. You really don't need a high power setting to shoot long range at game. Having a scope on high magnification even makes it difficult to get back on the animal after the first shot. Rarely do I shoot long distance at 24x unless it is at paper.

That said, dropping down from a Vortex 6-24x50 to a 2.5-10x44 saves 5 ounces of weight.

I shoot a Sightron SIII 6-24 on a 300wm. I agree that high magnification isn't necessary for big game. I think 10x is all one needs to get out to 1000 yards for game. I normally take my long range shots between 10X and 14X and only use the higher magnification on targets. I have a fixed 10x on some of my other hunting rifles and they do just fine.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.