What power scope for 500 yd

Blklasy

I'm shooting .338 fed through a Sako 85. Effective hunting range is on or about 500 yds from what I'm told. Don't want to under scope or waste $$ on something I won't need. This aint no lapua.
Need some advise with a $5-600 budget. You guys seem to have the knowledge base.

300 yds is about as far as you can go with a +/-4" point blank zero How do you want to compensate for bullet drop and wind? A BDC reticle might work for you. Otherwise, you're dialing or dialing/holding.

Sightron has that HHR hunter holdover reticle. I can get a Sll 4-16X42 for about $435. I can get better glass with lower power. Not sure what I need for 4-500 yds.

Planning on a hunt with my laser ranger - 200lb + boar but some shots could be 300 yds. I want to practice on long shots - 4-500 yds making 1-300 yrd shots seem easier. Single shot hunting is important to me.

.338 Fed is a good caliber for pig. I've been setting up a .358 Win rifle for pig and deer.

I would go with a simple BDC reticle with at least three lines below the crosshair. The Sightron HHR and Leupold B&C have too few lines. I don't like Sightron scopes for hunting anyway because the glare performance is below average.

I don't recommend a mag range above 12X for your game and range. Glare performance gets worse as the magnification range increases. I'm thinking 3-12X50 is about right.

The Burris E1 reticle is pretty good because it has windage. Not much in your price range. The Fullfield is lower and Black Diamond is higher. Both are good values. Burris has better than average optical performance and a soliid mechanical design.

Take look at the Hawke SR6 reticle. Hawke Sidewinder scopes have outstanding optical performance for their price range, and they handle recoil well. Also below your price range but getting closer.

There are other options for BDC reticles, but off the top of my head I can't think of one in your price range.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.