What scope should I top on my Mosin Nagant?

Longshot338

I recently put a new ATI gun stock on my mosin nagant and also went to a gunsmith and had him put my ATI scope mount on. What would you top on rifle ? I was thinking of topping it with a leupold of some kind . Its a 32 Inc barrel!

Last edited:
I have a couple Mosin-Nagant rifles and they are fun and cheap to shoot. However, I wouldn't put much money into mine. I would hate to have to fight in a battle with one of these. The accuracy isn't bad for the first few rounds but can be measured in feet when they heat up a little. With that said, a Finnish guy named Simo Hayha had over 500 Sniper kills in 100days against the Russians with one with open sights. I guess he didn't let it heat up.:D
Yours might be really accurate so don't let me dissuade you from upgrading yours. I would like to see a pic of your set up.

I have the Bushnell elite 3200 10x Fixed $200 on mine, It is fine out to 600. I also have one with an ATI mount it works great!
cant go wrong with Leupold though.

I have been looking at the Redfield Battlezone with the 7.62 turrets for my next Mosin project. I consider my Mosin a 600 Meter rifle for hunting so the Redfield is fine for that distance.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/56...pe-3-9x-42mm-tac-moa-reticle-matte?cm_vc=S014

I have 3 Mosins and all shoot sub M.O.A as long as I reload for them. In fact I think the biggest detractor for accuracy in these rifles is the surplus ammo. I have same problem as Bravo 4 when the barrel heats up the groups open up to about 1.5 M.O.A , so try not to get in a fire fight with whatever game your hunting. ONE SHOT ONE KILL! Right!?!?!

I had the Bushnell Elite Tactical 3200 fixed 10x40 with mil/ mil setup. I loved it. Worked flawlessly and very accurate, but the I decided to try my $300 SWFA SS12x42 mil/mil and it works even better. Shoots extremely accurate out to 750 yards. I haven't shot it further yet but plan to soon. My rifle shoots around .34 MOA with my hand load of Lapua brass, .311 dia. SMK 174 grain over 42.5 grains of Varget. Federal 210M primer.

The best group I've shot with it was only luck and I have not and cannot duplicate it, but I shot a 1-7/8" group at 750 yards. Pretty good for a 1942 battle rifle.

Jared

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    152.9 KB · Views: 184
Last edited:
Nightforce all the way! EVERY rifle deserves a nightforce! Buy once, cry once and all that...:rolleyes:

But seriously, the SWFA fixed power scopes are an excellent value. If you have a lower budget in mind here is one I would suggest:

BSA Tactical Mil-Dot Rifle Scope 30mm Tube 6-24x 44mm Side Focus Glass

I have one on a 22-250 and I really like it. Most folks will scoff at a BSA. Then again, most folks will scoff at a Mosin, so I would consider it a perfect match. The BSA is nowhere near as rugged as the SWFA's are. But, it is still a decent scope for the money.

On a side note, I continue to be amazed at the creativity being shown with the custom work people are doing to these rifles. There are some pretty neat conversions being done these days.

Most folks will scoff at a BSA. Then again, most folks will scoff at a Mosin, so I would consider it a perfect match.

So you are saying that two wrongs can make a right?:D

... The accuracy isn't bad for the first few rounds but can be measured in feet when they heat up a little. With that said, a Finnish guy named Simo Hayha had over 500 Sniper kills in 100days against the Russians with one with open sights. I guess he didn't let it heat up.:D ...

I spent 2 years there... hard for anything to heat up much during a hard Finnish winter ...

:D:D

Well here we go the group is actually a little on the big side for this I usually get 3 to 5 shots under a dime at 100(the two on the right are a reduced load I was working on the picture is sideways) As you can see the original stock is no peace of art but it worked good, you can probably see I am an amateur at accurizing as well but this was a great rifle to learn on . I have not shot it in the new Bluegrass rifle stock yet. but hope to soon. Bushnell Elite 10X fixed works great. This gun drives my Buddy with his Kimber Tactical Rig Crazy when we shoot at the range together.

Attachments

• mosinbefore.jpg
    mosinbefore.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 347
  • groupmosin.jpg
    groupmosin.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 158
  • mosinafter.jpg
    mosinafter.jpg
    247.3 KB · Views: 162
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts