Should i put my swfa ss10 on?

It's kinda a funny story how I shot that deer close.
5-6 years ago I had a 700 ss sa action and wanted to build a mili spec copy, got a mili spec take off barrel from a member here, used a d&c Medalist stock ob green m40. Picked up the swfa then they were on sale for $250. Actually missed it my a day because there site was down, lady at swfa said no problem.

Close to season I did a quick load with some 165 Sierra game king hp, thing shot a legit one hole first 3 round group, my buddy was amazed.

deer season now I hung my buddy's small farm, he has south facing hills, think like a Winery. I walk up too and sit down and set up looking over the down slop, about 400 yards I were the deer normally came out in the field.

it was cold and I had a wool blanket with me, it started to snow,( butler creek caps payed for them selves that day) a hour goes by no deer, buddy's horse walks up to me giving me the stink eye wondering what the heck I was. Had a few inches of snow on me then.

still no deer, close to last light. The gun is on the ground with the bipods legs out, snow covering the gun caps down. I'm like a mound of snow on the edge of the field by the upper gate.
All of a sudden there's crashing behind me, I spin around with gun in hand Simultaneously flipping up my caps and cranked down my parilex. I just have kinda looked like that sniper scene from Enemy at the gates but slow because I'm fat lol.

The deer just stared at me like the horse did, I could only see the head and shot, she dropped right on the rock wall she was jumping over. Turned out being my second biggest doe, 207 pounds.

sorry for the long story, I always that it was funny I was setup for longer range that day and the deer popped up so close. The story of getting the deer down is probably more funny.

will just say deer can make a nice sled and the swfa will take a real beating.
Dude that's an awesome story!!! Thanks for sharing!

Good scope - you say some younger kids might be using it this year - I'm assuming for hunting? For longer range work I'd put it on in a heartbeat. Also if it's sitting around too long and you ever want to sell it, I'll buy it haha
will let you know, I'm broke at the moment but like the scope a lot lol. This will be used sitting on farm field edges.

I'm not sure what rings or bases to get, the Talley in the end will be cheaper. I don't have much money at the moment, other wise I'd get a nice pic rail and decent rings. Think Talley you can get the built in 20moa but don't think I will need it.
I used Talley rings/ base. Yeah I doubt you'll need 20 moa. Here's a picture when I had the with the SWFA mounted in Talleys on my 22-250. Medium height. standard sporter barrel.

Attachments

• March 3 2021 Chuck.jpg
    March 3 2021 Chuck.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 59
Last edited:
I used Talley rings/ base. Yeah I doubt you'll need 20 moa. Here's a picture when I had the with the SWFA mounted in Talleys on my 22-250. Medium height. standard sporter barrel.
It looks good on there, Usually they look big on guns. With the sun shade part would come off but probably would break the seal.

They feel heavier then they are since there like a tank but think there under 20oz

It looks good on there, Usually they look big on guns. With the sun shade part would come off but probably would break the seal.

They feel heavier then they are since there like a tank but think there under 20oz
Just over 20 oz. I'm on the heavy side too lol.

That rifle was a beater. But I posted it because there is a lot of clearance between the barrel and bell objective. Maybe a call to Talley to see if low mounts would work.

will let you know, I'm broke at the moment but like the scope a lot lol. This will be used sitting on farm field edges.
Run it and not look back. If the kiddos are dialing, you can dial it for them (or tape on elevation tape with distances)... if you want them to hold over, print out the reticle, write down the drops, laminate it (or tape), and tape it inside a butler creek cover. Just some ideas.
Happy hunting!

Run it and not look back. If the kiddos are dialing, you can dial it for them (or tape on elevation tape with distances)... if you want them to hold over, print out the reticle, write down the drops, laminate it (or tape), and tape it inside a butler creek cover. Just some ideas.
Happy hunting!
I usually put the drop in the inside of the cap, and wind drift at like 400 at 10 mph closer wind does not matter much. I really don't like shooting animals past 500 yards even tho this 6.5 probably has plenty out to a 1000. A animal can move a bit by time your brain thinks to pull the trigger and when the bullet hits.

Wish I had the place to bang some steel out far, this gun makes some good numbers. I had the 147 eldm up to 3120 with some retumbo I had, they were stupid to tho. But kinda crazy for a 24". And that's before the barrel sped up.

I usually put the drop in the inside of the cap, and wind drift at like 400 at 10 mph closer wind does not matter much. I really don't like shooting animals past 500 yards even tho this 6.5 probably has plenty out to a 1000. A animal can move a bit by time your brain thinks to pull the trigger and when the bullet hits.

Wish I had the place to bang some steel out far, this gun makes some good numbers. I had the 147 eldm up to 3120 with some retumbo I had, they were stupid to tho. But kinda crazy for a 24". And that's before the barrel sped up.
That's moving... I'm pushing 143s ~2800 even w/ a 24" 6.5CM

One comment I don't think I saw anyone else mention. First, I have a ton of love for SWFA SS. But that said I think especially with new shooters, even from a rest they may not have the best technique immediately and being able to dial down the magnification may give them more confidence and avoid bad trigger habits like trying to snatch the trigger as the reticle passes over the center. I'm sure for most people on this forum 10x is very low magnification, it's all relative.

JB

That's moving... I'm pushing 143s ~2800 even w/ a 24" 6.5CM
I'm out of retumbo rl25-26 only powder I've got is h-1000 such seems good with the 140s and the 24" barrel. If I get them hammer bullets is like the imr 4 350 maybe used. The quick hunting load I did is about 2900 and all I really need.

I like these rifles so much, I have three of them now.
Two are Sauer 100's but the Mauser M18 is the same action, barrel, trigger and bedding as the Sauer.

I can assure you that your Mauser is worthy of a better scope with more magnification but since you are broke and kids are going to be using it, the Burris 3-9 Ballistic Plex will be much more user friendly than your SWFA 10X.

When your financial fortune changes for the better you could get a nice variable for it more fitting longer range.

My Mauser M18 at 300. Here's the Talley Low 30mm rings you are thinking about.

Attachments

• IMG_20201107_153319900_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20201107_153319900_HDR.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 47
  • IMG_20191231_155736251.jpg
    IMG_20191231_155736251.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 38