Should i put my swfa ss10 on?

shootallday

I have a mauser m18 in 6.5 prc, great rifle had a few near one hole 3 shot groups when I did a quick load work up for deer. It was a nice cheap load, 140 Speer hotcor, 57.0 h-1000 hornady brass wlr.

shot a nice little buck last year at about 300, drt high shoulder. Scope on it now is a Burris ff2 3-9x40 which is just fine for deer closer in.

My question I've got an swfa ss10 mil-mil sitting of the shelf, I wanted to stretch the legs out on this gun some day so was thinking of throwing it on the mauser. Not the best for in close shots but I did use it to pop a doe one day at 15 yards when it was on a 308win

I have tally lightweights on it now so I'll have to get a base, I have a set of high rings but there probably to tall. I may just get a set of 30mm talleys.

So what do you think.

oh and some younger kids will be using the gun this year, I feel the swfa maybe a little better for them for some reason.

Here's a pic from the first test loads, hard to see 57.0-57.5 is a good node.

1629790733605.png

Last edited:
I'd put it on your 6.5 PRC. I have one on my PSS in 308 Win and may throw it on a 260 AI. You already proved you can shoot it close in at 15 yards. I agree it's not the best close in but you can use it. When I had it on my 22-250 earlier this year I hit sagerats at 10 yards and closer so it works. I also hit a rock chuck out at 583 yards or so. It's s fairly versatile scope for not a lot of money.

BTW I had it on Talley integral ring/ mount mediums and it was still a tad high. I currently have it on the PSS with a NF steel 20 moa base and SWFA aluminum rings again medium and it's still too high. Medium height is okay but I'm wondering if low rings would be better. YMMV.

On my Remington 700s I only use the nightforce 1 piece scope mounts (pricey) in low configuration. It's a tight fit but I love it when I go to get behind the gun. Very natural feeling without lifting my head up
I haven't seen those so I'll look. I'm on the cheap so I probably won't buy, but I can add them to the wish list. Thanks for the tip!

Couple things to consider.

First off can your kids find "their spot" in the scope as easily as they can with the 3-9?

Secondly, real world how far are you normally taking deer on a regular basis?

I've been using the 3-9 Burris with BP since the beginning of time and have the highest regard for it. Clear, tough, easy to set up the plex's so one can kill on demand to 500 and further with some rounds. Plus I can see the plex's in pretty much all light.

I've had my 10X SWFA for a few years now, I find it tough, clear enough and easy to use for me. The Burris plex's would be easier for most to work with. Plus I've found with my 10X that on some backgrounds it can be problematic to pick up the mil plex's.

Long and the short from my experience with the two I have found the 3-9 Burris to me much more user friendly.

First off can your kids find "their spot" in the scope as easily as they can with the 3-9?

I've been using the 3-9 Burris with BP since the beginning of time and have the highest regard for it. Clear, tough, easy to set up the plex's so one can kill on demand to 500 and further with some rounds. Plus I can see the plex's in pretty much all light.

I've had my 10X SWFA for a few years now, I find it tough, clear enough and easy to use for me. The Burris plex's would be easier for most to work with. Plus I've found with my 10X that on some backgrounds it can be problematic to pick up the mil plex's.

Long and the short from my experience with the two I have found the 3-9 Burris to me much more user friendly.
Yup no question a variable is easier to locate things in the field. Could mount the SWFA on another rifle to test it out for the kids.

I have a mauser m18 in 6.5 prc, great rifle had a few near one hole 3 shot groups when I did a quick load work up for deer. It was a nice cheap load, 140 Speer hotcor, 57.0 h-1000 hornady brass wlr.

shot a nice little buck last year at about 300, drt high shoulder. Scope on it now is a Burris ff2 3-9x40 which is just fine for deer closer in.

My question I've got an swfa ss10 mil-mil sitting of the shelf, I wanted to stretch the legs out on this gun some day so was thinking of throwing it on the mauser. Not the best for in close shots but I did use it to pop a doe one day at 15 yards when it was on a 308win

I have tally lightweights on it now so I'll have to get a base, I have a set of high rings but there probably to tall. I may just get a set of 30mm talleys.

So what do you think.

oh and some younger kids will be using the gun this year, I feel the swfa maybe a little better for them for some reason.

Here's a pic from the first test loads, hard to see 57.0-57.5 is a good node.

View attachment 293311
Good scope - you say some younger kids might be using it this year - I'm assuming for hunting? For longer range work I'd put it on in a heartbeat. Also if it's sitting around too long and you ever want to sell it, I'll buy it haha

Good scope - you say some younger kids might be using it this year - I'm assuming for hunting? For longer range work I'd put it on in a heartbeat. Also if it's sitting around too long and you ever want to sell it, I'll buy it haha
I like mine too. Is it the best scope? Nope it isn't. It's a usable tool for a really good price. Depending on the OP's load he could shoot out to a mile with regular base and rings. Just dial up the dope and shoot.

I'd put it on your 6.5 PRC. I have one on my PSS in 308 Win and may throw it on a 260 AI. You already proved you can shoot it close in at 15 yards. I agree it's not the best close in but you can use it. When I had it on my 22-250 earlier this year I hit sagerats at 10 yards and closer so it works. I also hit a rock chuck out at 583 yards or so. It's s fairly versatile scope for not a lot of money.
It's kinda a funny story how I shot that deer close.
5-6 years ago I had a 700 ss sa action and wanted to build a mili spec copy, got a mili spec take off barrel from a member here, used a d&c Medalist stock ob green m40. Picked up the swfa then they were on sale for $250. Actually missed it my a day because there site was down, lady at swfa said no problem.

Close to season I did a quick load with some 165 Sierra game king hp, thing shot a legit one hole first 3 round group, my buddy was amazed.

deer season now I hung my buddy's small farm, he has south facing hills, think like a Winery. I walk up too and sit down and set up looking over the down slop, about 400 yards I were the deer normally came out in the field.

it was cold and I had a wool blanket with me, it started to snow,( butler creek caps payed for them selves that day) a hour goes by no deer, buddy's horse walks up to me giving me the stink eye wondering what the heck I was. Had a few inches of snow on me then.

still no deer, close to last light. The gun is on the ground with the bipods legs out, snow covering the gun caps down. I'm like a mound of snow on the edge of the field by the upper gate.
All of a sudden there's crashing behind me, I spin around with gun in hand Simultaneously flipping up my caps and cranked down my parilex. I just have kinda looked like that sniper scene from Enemy at the gates but slow because I'm fat lol.

The deer just stared at me like the horse did, I could only see the head and shot, she dropped right on the rock wall she was jumping over. Turned out being my second biggest doe, 207 pounds.

sorry for the long story, I always that it was funny I was setup for longer range that day and the deer popped up so close. The story of getting the deer down is probably more funny.

will just say deer can make a nice sled and the swfa will take a real beating.

my sisters kids haven't shot it yet, I'd like to get them shooting this year. A friends boy may shoot it as well.

this gun will mostly be used hunting the edges of farm fields, so 10x really isn't to much power. If I'm going in the woods I've got rifles for that. I'm in the process of making a better long range deer load for this rifle,

BTW I had it on Talley integral ring/ mount mediums and it was still a tad high. I currently have it on the PSS with a NF steel 20 moa base and SWFA aluminum rings again medium and it's still too high. Medium height is okay but I'm wondering if low rings would be better. YMMV.
I'm not sure what rings or bases to get, the Talley in the end will be cheaper. I don't have much money at the moment, other wise I'd get a nice pic rail and decent rings. Think Talley you can get the built in 20moa but don't think I will need it.