What rings and bases

adam.WI

Hey guys, I'm new to this whole long range thing. I just purchased the savage 111 LRH in 300 win. What would you guys recommend for bases and rings for a Vortex Viper 3.5-10x50. Currently I have a weaver base and Vortex tactical rings. Would you guys change or stick with them.

I would say you are ok with the current set up.
When you want to get into longer range then you will need a 20moa base.
Get accustomed to what you have and its capabilities.

adam, while the rings and bases you have will certainly work (obviously) you may be limited in the future if you intend to shoot further by dialing in the necessary MOA. Your Weaver base(s) and Vortex rings don't have any MOA built in to them so you have to depend on what MOA is left in your scopes adjustment after zeroing your rifle in.
Really depends on your bullet of choice, how far you intend to shoot and remaining MOA. The way that I figure this out is count the number of "up" clicks that I have after zeroing in my rifle. From what I can find out your scope has 82 total MOA. If you use half getting your zero then you have 41 MOA left and that will easily get you to and past 1000yds with the .300WinMag, depending on your zero range.
According to the Ballistic card that I have on my .300WinMag with a 178gn bullet and a 300yd zero, I will need 22.6 MOA to reach 1000yds, but your's will more than likely be different. JohnnyK.

I just did a Vortex diamondback in 3.5 X 10 X 50 on my Savage 308. I went with a EGW base and TPS rings. I like the way everything went together. I like the TPS rings, pretty simple and straight forward set up. On that 300 WnMag, you could go with the EGW 20 degree (moa) base for some distance. I used Medium height rings to clear the bell.

Your set up seems good. I just thought I would let you know what others have done.

George

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.