Rings and Bases ?

Silverback

Hi all, just found your site and it looks great. I have a Remington Sendero in 338 RUM on the way, a Leupold VXIII 4.5 to 14 LR with B&C reticle waiting for it in the basement and was wondering what you guys might recommend for rings and bases. I have been looking at TSP HRT series rings and a compatable 2 piece base like the Leupold QRW/PRW. Anybody have an opinion on these rings or bases, also would a one piece base be better in this application?
http://www.tacticalprecision.com/

The rings you have chosen are good rings for the money if you looking for the tactical style. As for the bases Warne makes a tactical one piece base in either strait or 20 deg for about $65 , Ken Farrel makes some nice ones also
Some guys say that the one piece base will help stiffen up the action some which will help accuracy in a br gun but I don't believe that you'll see the differance , especialy not shooting a factory gun. The main benifit that i see with the one piece base is that it allows some more scope mounting flexibility

Oh yea that product # for the warne mounts is
947-000-129 for the long action no taper and
947-000-139 for the 20 moa long action

Thanks for the tips on the bases, I thought that the TSP HRT rings are the least tactical looking of the tactical rings, if that makes sense. As you said I was also thinking about a full length base for flexibility of scope mounting. I know there will be a bit of recoil from this rifle and I would like to keep the scope out at maximum eye relief. Having never used a full length base before I was wondering if it gets in the way of loading the rifle at all?

I don't find that its egts in the way any more than the scope itself does , I mean yea its in the way if your in a big hurry to load the rifle but other than that I don't find it a bother
If your planning to mout the scope on this gun and not take it on and off you could get the Leuplod dual dovetail rings an mounts , they are as strong as it can get and alot lighter , and they don't look tactical at all . Match up the Leupold base with the Burris rings you can add the 20 moa off set later if you need it with the ring incerts.
You should be able to mount the leupold scope up far enough to keep it off you forhead with the Leupold DD rings and mounts and if not they do make extension rings

I've been using Talley rings and bases on a couple of rifles including a .300 Jarrett. I've been very pleased with them. I've got another set coming for a Kimber .300 WSM.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts