What Priming Tool?

Yeah primers are really resilient. If you're really worried about it, you could just wear medical gloves or use tweezers.

@25WSM okay that makes more sense. I was thinking the head just freely spun on the threads and that didn't seem very stable and repeatable to me. I understand now. Thank you

Hey all, I would like to ask everyone what priming tool/tools they're currently using. Also I'd appreciate it if you'd add past or current experiences with other priming tools. Please add your pros and cons as well. Thank you!

I've been using an old Lee hand priming tool for years and I really can't complain. This is the second one I've had and the first one had the casting crack. These are no longer made and I'm thinking of upgrading in the near future. I'm not going to go crazy and buy the Primal Rights bench seater, but pretty much everything else on the market I'm looking at.

The Frankford Arsenal Platinum hand priming tool is one on my list. I think it's cool that the primer depth can be controlled with it, but I'm not sure if I constantly want to be adjusting that for every caliber I load for. I've also been looking at the tools from Sinclair, 21st Century, and K&M. These all seem to have good reviews and everyone says they had really good feel when seating primers. Having good feel when priming is important to me, but having to single load each primer at a time doesn't sound ideal. The other hand priming tools from RCBS, Lyman, and Hornady kind of have mixed reviews and don't seem to be any better or worse than one another. I also have been looking at the RCBS bench mounted priming tool and think it's really cool as well. The only thing I don't like about the RCBS bench tool is having to waste the time to fill primer tubes. Its nice to be able to just dump X amount of primers into the tray and start seating. I look forward to hearing your experiences and opinions on the best priming tool and hopefully you guys can help me make up my mind haha. Thank you.
I have used the RCBS bench mounted tool for many years. It has worked perfectly for me.

I use a Hornady priming tool and like the fact that it uses standard shell holders and I can feel the seat. I have used an RCBS bench mounted tool in the past and I also liked it a lot. But like you mentioned, you do have to load the primer tube.

Last edited:
I'm really leaning towards the RCBS bench priming tool. I can't really find a hand tool that I like other than the RCBS one. The rest of them have very mixed reviews or don't have what I'm looking for. How would you say the feel is on the bench priming tool compared to the hand priming tool?
You can definitely feel when a primer is seating properly and if the primer pocket is tight, normal or loose. My suggestion is to attach a section of foam (the type used to wrap hot water pipes) to the handle. Makes it more comfortable. Also, just before you place a case in the shell holder check to see if you operated the handle enough to pick up a primer. If you didn't the ram will get stuck in the case primer pocket and it will be a bear to get out. Otherwise this tool is great. I mounted mine to a piece of 3/4" Baltic birch plywood so I can clamp it to the bench.

As far as the handheld seaters are concerned, It got more difficult as time went by. My hand will only take so much before it says, "Enough already!" The long handle of the RCBS Automatic priming tool gives you a much better feel.

Last edited:
I have a 21st century match single hand primer and it's great, but slow. I purchased a primal right seater and it's badass, however super expensive. The frankford unit appears to be well rounded, easily feeds primers quickly and adjustable with 1 thousandths clicks.

Blackhawk hit it on the head. I have been using the Frankford for three years. You have great control and feel. He is also correct on the strength required at first. It is a great work out for your hands. I also don't like handling primers, due to their chemical make up and the chance of getting oil from my fingers on the compound...

I have the RCBS hand primer but really like the built in primer on my Forster Co-Ax press. Single feed but quick, simple and consistent.

RCBS bench mounted priming tool and occasionally RCBS press priming. I use both priming tools for 30 years, but the bench mounted I like the best. Both use the same tube that take a minute with primer tray to load. Very positive easy priming. I used Lee hand primer many moons ago, I put a TV in my reloading room and tossed the hand priming tool!

The Sinclair and 21ST Century are very similar, I've had the Lee in the past, but have been using the 21ST century tool for 5 years.....I wholeheartedly recommend the 21st century tool. Provides incredible feedback, very concise depths and setup. Only con is handling each primer but I do not mind, I actually enjoy that portion of the process.

Im interested in the km. But ive been currently using the lee hand press...... Not the prime tool......It has good feel and ive been seating loads @ the range with it. Kind of a 2 in 1 purpose deal but its not the fastest im sure.
20200321_215723.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.