Priming tool

I have and use both. I think for all out speed and ease of use, I favor the Lee, I also think the feel is better with the Lee. After a few thousand rounds (probably 6-8000), the plastic bushing that surrounds the shaft that seats the primer gets oblong and starts hanging up. Then it's time to replace the unit. Luckily, you have different parts for small and large primers, so if you reload both, you have to reload a lot to wear it out (I've worn out one for small and one for large over the last 5 years).

I bought the RCBS because there was no way to use the Lee to prime the 408 Cheytac case (338 Allen Mag). In fact, I had to modify the RCBS so the 408CT shellholder would even fit! So I just leave it setup for the 338Allen mag and use the Lee for everything else.

Unless they've changed the mold, you need to open up the area around the shellholder on the Lee to fit the WSM size cases (2 minutes with a dremel and you're good to go).

The one thing I don't like about the RCBS is that the 'push rod' that actually seats the primers can fall out or easily get misplaced as nothing holds it in. Nothing like that is loose on the Lee. Also, switching shellholders on the RCBS is slower, as you have to remove a nut and the safety bar to swap shellholders (the Lee takes about 5 seconds to swap shellholders, but it doesn't use standard holders).

Cost wise, the Lee is really cheap but you need the matching shell holders (get a kit that fits most shells for $13 or so).

Overall, I like the Lee and recommend it.

HTH

AJ

+1 covered it all I think!

finger the each primer.

I don't finger any primers:D.

Read your other post, my son just got off post too and got a DUI. Some mid twenty young woman, she was plastered and he told her he wanted to cuff her only as a formality while he ran her license. Once cuffed he advises her she's going to jail and that's when she decided to up the charge to a felony by kicking him in the chest while putting her in the backseat. It's crazy out there, take care.

I don't finger any primers:D.

Read your other post, my son just got off post too and got a DUI. Some mid twenty young woman, she was plastered and he told her he wanted to cuff her only as a formality while he ran her license. Once cuffed he advises her she's going to jail and that's when she decided to up the charge to a felony by kicking him in the chest while putting her in the backseat. It's crazy out there, take care.

Hummmm...is primers a code word for something I should know about???:D

Ya, I've had way more women assault me than men. I've actually pondered it a lot. I think women know I won't throttle them off camera. Men on the other hand always have that possibility in the back of their mind and they seem to mind their p's and q's a bit more. Where does your son work?

Sorry, did we just hi-jack another thread? :rolleyes:

roaddog1m, he's with FHP in Jacksonville FL mostly runs up and down I-95. No hijacking...back to primer tools.

After reading about serious fire related injuries resulting from use of the Lee priming tool, i.e., one primer setting off others in the try, I stopped using them. Now I use a K&M and load one primer at a time. The Sinclair is just as good.

Gene, me too! Couldn't agree more. One at a time, nice and safe. Keeps the wife happy too.

I've heard of lightning striking people too but I still go out and get my mail in the rain. :rolleyes:

I think that just like anything else, (driving to work, crossing the street, fishing, hunting) there is a small degree of danger involved. When you consider the tens of millions of primers that have safely installed into cases without incident, I think one or two highly publicisised incidents (that can more than likely be attributed to operator error) are an acceptable risk for me. :D

Tom

Get the mail in the rain, me too but then again I don't play the Florida Lottery...

In Florida your odds of getting hit with lightening are twice that of winning the Lottery so when folks ask me why I don't play I ask them do they ever think they will be hit by lightening? After an ackward look they usually say something along the lines of "No, I don't think my chances of being hit by lightening are very good". Or "No not really". I then explain and ask them, then why do you play the lottery if the odds of winning are worse. Ironic isn't it. What's my point.

Folks look at the odds/risk differently. As far as primers...to each their own and I respect that. I just wonder how many folks have had unpleasant experiences and remain hush hush about it for fear of being ridiculed or embarrassed.

Is the danger in the brass/primer not lining up correctly and the primers end up crushed thereby exploding? If not what is the potential cause?

Tom

It's possible. My experience has been them going off when seating, now whether I applied too much pressure or not (don't think so) or the anvil was to close to the explosive material (defective primer) I don't know. Normally the anvil is extremely close so it wouldn't take much and if closer than spec then maybe bang.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.