What priming tools...

I just got set up to reload .223 (5.56) for my AR. , I consistently love my RCBS hand primer but I'm having a lot of trouble seating the primers. Useing #10 shell holder it's seems to have too much space between the casing and the shell holder any advice ?

I had used the Old Lee Hand Prime for many years. Then I got the first Hornady Hand Prime and loved it even more. After several more years the RCBS Hand Prime became available and I had then sold the Hornady. Only problem I had with the RCBS was that the primer ram fells out when you turn the unit upside down. Another problem was that the unit requires a lot more squeeze compared to the Lee and Hornady. I had then invested money in the RCBS Universal Hand Prime unit. The problem with this unit was that it does not align 100%. One out of +-10 cases would give you a click noise indicating that the primer was not in line and it lets you wonder if the anvil of the primer is still in tact. However, I had then purchased the new Hornady Hand Prime and currently I only use this unit. The squeeze is smooth and easy and it gives you a good feel of the seating process. Furthermore it had no loose items that can get lost. Only important thing about the Hornady Hand Prime is that you must only use Hornady or RCBS shell holders - it has a tray for RCBS shell holders and a tray for Hornday shell holders.

My hands down favorite seating tool is the Forster Coaxial Primer Seater. Additional tools are the RCBS Case Prep Station with all the various de-burring, cleaning, crimp removers ect and finally a Primer pocket tightening tool that I don't know the brand, but got it from Midway. It's very effective for tightening loose primer pockets. For handguns, I use Dillon auto presses.

I havent loaded 38s or any pistol rounds in 20 years where i had to use a priming tool. I load them all on a progressive. Only rilfes need a priming tool for me and even .223 and 308s are done progressively.
Until you get carpel tunnel or other "wrist / hand" malfunctions! Then your lucky to get a box of 38 Specials primed

If it ain't broke, don't try to fix it. I was just glad to get away from the slam and bam seating function on my reloading press, I had been waiting for years for one to go bang. With the little Sinclair I can feel all the pressure as it slides into the case and I can feel it bottom in the case. Of course now I will probably have one go bang the next time I use it.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.