Votes: 27 8.9%
  • >20 <25 ft lbs - medium rare

Votes: 73 24.2%
  • >25 <30 ft lbs - flexing in mirror

Votes: 50 16.6%
  • >30 ft lbs - rare and slightly moving OK

Votes: 140 46.4%

• Total voters
Those cartridges look like they use a quarter of a pound of powder each. 8 pounds of powder gets you 32 rounds efficient aren't they.

Haha, yup, and contrary to the claim in the video, 4 bore is not the biggest shoulder fired rifle in the world.

I did a little research, and apparently there is at least one chap in England making 2 bores, which are even bigger.

"True cannons begin with 4 bores, as this is the size of most swivel cannons. Anything larger tended to break out of the mounting on a ship's rail. Giles Whittome's 2 bore rifle is twice that size. The cartridges are all hand-made and cost $100 apiece. They can also be made loaded with smokeless powder, and that does reduce the recoil. "

"As of this time, no Americans have fired the 2 bore rifle, only Englishmen, Scotsmen, and Russians. It's a shame that no American with deep pockets has bought and fired one, leaving the glory of handling this brute to the aforementioned nations. It galls me to think of the Russian owner of a 2 bore saying "Amerikantsy slishkom slaby, chtoby vladet' I strelyat' iz etoy vintovki." (Translation: "Americans are too weak to own and fire a rifle like this.")"

I used to be a Goodyear guy, but the last couple sets were less than impressive.
I've been running Coopers in various forms for awhile and have had no complaints.
I always liked Cooper's . Cost less also. I never got as many miles out of them though. I've had a couple sets on each of last two trucks (21 yrs ). After these Good Years wear out I'll probably buy some Cooper's again. I RECOIL less when I buy them 😉

Last edited:
I'm very picky about some things. Tires are one of those things. Must be quiet, great traction, be extremely tough, and get many many miles. Toyo at2s did this better than any tire I've ever ran. Of course they quit making them. "Improved" them and now call them at3s. Luckily I still have a new set in storage. Bought 2 extra sets when they announced the change.

I have used Coopers in many years, so this comment may be irrelevant, but I as disappointed in them wearing very fast! memtb
I've noticed that also . I figured that the cost less be it still doesn't even out. Maybe their rubber is softer. Many years ago I noticed Firestone , remember them ? They wore out faster than Goodrich and Good Year. Goodrich All Terrain Radials wore good.

I've told this story here before, been a while.

In my teenage years, me and a few buddy's experimented with a 12 gauge single barrel. Started cuttin and splicing shells. Adding length a little at the time. Adding shot, leaving the powder charge un changed. As the "engineer" of this project, I delegate testing to someone else. We made it to 6" in shell length, stuffed full of crossman BBs, when the gun gave up. Stock busted, action still intact. That's probably the hardest recoil I've ever witnessed.

I epoxied the stock pieces back together. My son squirrel hunts with it still today.

I've told this story here before, been a while.

In my teenage years, me and a few buddy's experimented with a 12 gauge single barrel. Started cuttin and splicing shells. Adding length a little at the time. Adding shot, leaving the powder charge un changed. As the "engineer" of this project, I delegate testing to someone else. We made it to 6" in shell length, stuffed full of crossman BBs, when the gun gave up. Stock busted, action still intact. That's probably the hardest recoil I've ever witnessed.

I epoxied the stock pieces back together. My son squirrel hunts with it still today.
You have got to be a distant cousin.

The recoil doesn't seem like an issue but since I started running a can I really dislike the concussion of brakes.
I can agree on that one. No suppressor experience but I think I'm more likely to flinch from the massive blast in my face from an aggressive brake than I am from getting slammed in the shoulder hard. I find that pressure wave distinctly hard to shoot well with on guns with those tank style brakes. I try to keep both eyes open for the whole "firing event" and it's really hard to do that with those aforementioned aggressive tank style brakes in conjunction with bigger cartridges generating lots of gas volume. Can feel the pressure wave hit your face. No thank you.