What is your favorite make of brass you reload and why?

Gone Ballistic

I have used Nosler brass since it was introduced to the market after eons of reloading with Remington and Winchester brass. Always had short case life with Winchester brass so I I only bought it when Remington wasn't available. After buying a 7mm RUM that changed. Although this particular caliber is the King of brass eater's I was able to get sub MOA groups by using Nosler brass weighed in close weight to each one I loaded. Would like to know what may be better and why or what are your experiences with Nosler brass?

I like Lapua best, but their selection is small. Nosler and Norma are what I buy as well. These three are fairly consistent and require very little prep. Peterson and some of the newer brands seem to have great reviews, but again not a huge selection. Like you, I've not seen a bag of Winchester brass without unusable or wide weight difference. Others love Winchester, Hornady, Federal, Remington and others. I just don't care to do so much prep work when I can buy better.

No denying Lapua is the most boring (in the best possible way). You don't do anything to that brass other than resize and the very occasional trim. So BORING!
With other brands of brass, it feels like a real accomplishment after chamfer flash holes, neck turn, weight sort, give them all an initial trim to start with the same length, etc. Feel like I've earned a good group after that.🤡

I use various brass but my opinion is that Winchester is the worst hands down for rifle or pistol brass on the order of 5 pieces per 50 with serious defects. I've had great success with Norma, Remington, Federal and Nosler. All have good quality control but I rarely find Nosler on sale, and value is one of my factors as an old retired guy.

i buy bulk once fired Lake City 7.62 and 5.56 brass because the cases are made of harder brass.

The second reason I buy once fired brass is it is a fraction of the cost of new brass and I'm a cheap bastard.

4kXrGuI.png

Below the weight variation and uniformity is above average.

LjAQ7L9.jpg

PExmCCk.jpg

I would say Peterson is my favorite. They're not necessarily above and beyond the other top brands, but they make excellent brass, it's affordable, and they're located about 45 mins from me. I choose them over all others when I'm loading for a cartridge they make brass for. Norma has given us excellent results as well. I have a lot of experience loading with the standard run of the mil Hornady, Federal, Winchester, etc. and I can't really tell a difference in any of it. I haven't had bad luck with any new brass really. Once fired brass is a different story haha. If I was building a new rifle in a new to me cartridge, I'd look at Norma, Peterson, ADG, Alpha, and Lapua. Nosler is supposed to be good brass too, but I've never loaded any of it.

By the way for handgun reloaders, I find that Cabelas has the Sig brand for a great price as well as Starline. Both are surprisingly good quality for the money.

Lapua is hands down the best I've used so far. They are so much closer when weight sorted and not all those real heavy or light rounds that I never really know what to do with :( With norma I'm beginning to get a defect or two in every 100 batch. Split necks, and nasty casting defects in some. They vary by 6gr's or even a little more when totally weight sorted. ADG and Alpha don't make brass for most of my cartridges so I don't start down that road. I tried to get Peterson select and both kinds was out of stock, I just wait for a sale at Graf or Midway and stock up on Lapua. They cover 22-250, 260, 7mm-08, and 308 so an easy weight sort and all my bases are covered. Lapua primer pockets way outlast winchester or norma brass, seems to be harder. Starline is pretty good for the price, my son has been using and it seems decent and holds up pretty good.

Strange I guess but I like the beveled inside my flash hole reamer does so I do every type of brass I use or try. Do all the first time and figure they are all uniform with the primer flame spreading more at the bottom of charge. Maybe just habit but I do it.

Last edited:
By the way for handgun reloaders, I find that Cabelas has the Sig brand for a great price as well as Starline. Both are surprisingly good quality for the money.
I've used Starline in my 6.5 Creedmoor but I I found huge amounts of variation in weight. I didn't think I had bad groups (.339) until I loaded Nosler and shot a 5 round group at .191 at 100 yards.

1. Lapua
2. ADG
3. Alpha
4. Nosler/Norma

I have not used Peterson's yet, but heard great reviews.
I'm in the same boat as Lance, although I will put ADG and Lapua side by side at the top.
Over the years I've used about every brand of brass out there. I use 270 WSM Win. brass in my 6.5x300wsm, L.C 223 brass in my 20 cal. stuff.