What is your favorite 7MM REM Mag Load?

I was wondering if anyone has had any luck shooting the 180 Berger VLD in their 7mm mag. I had spoke with John Burns a few years ago and he seemed to think that was the ticket. Who know's, he may have changed his mind by now, but I would still like to know if it's an accurate combo. Anyone try it?

I went through a few boxes of 180 gr VLD hunting bullets on paper. Maybe I shot a deer or two.
I had the same luck on paper at 600 yards as I do with 150 gr ballistic tip, and 162 gr SST... not very good. But I am great at 500 yards with my simplistic wind doping.

All with the same load:
180 gr VLD moly 3.48" 70 gr Re22, 3025 fps, 26" barrel

I have since given up on VLDs and gone back to ballistic tips.

I just loaded up some 7mm Rem mag - trying 64 grains of H4831SC with a 160 grain nosler Accubond, used Remington Brass and Fedoral 215 mag primers
Anyone else tryed this combo? Any thoughts on it would be appreciated. Haven't tryed it yet. Will be using a 700 BDL LH Rem Mag .

Gonna dip my toe in here and hope i don't get laughed off the page...

7rem mag, 60 grs RL-22, CCI 250, Berger 168 Hunting VLD, for 2780fps out of my 700.
Have had the chance to take game out to 300 with it and it does not want for anything, shoots into 1/2 moa for me and hits critters hard. Runs out of effective elk killing steam right at 1000 yards, even though my personal skill and comfort level is 600 on unwounded game right now.

This thread makes me scared to buy a used gun...
Also I have to disagree, antelope are quite tough for their size and require a good bullet in the boiler room same as any other animal.

Part way through making a load for a friend's 7 Rem mag with 26" barrel. Using the recently released 168 classic hunter hybrid. Worked up close to Hogdon's max load for the 170 gr bullet with 74 grs. 72 grains showed the most promise vel 3075 fps. Will tweak seating depth next.

Last year worked up a load with my 7 Rem mag using the 162 A-max and Retumbo. 72 grs was the most accurate, vel was 2975 with 24" barrel. Bullet stoned a coues wt at 409 yds with a high double shoulder shot. Little meat ruined. Was impressed.

I figure the new hunting hybrid will do just as well if not better.

Part way through making a load for a friend's 7 Rem mag with 26" barrel. Using the recently released 168 classic hunter hybrid. Worked up close to Hogdon's max load for the 170 gr bullet with 74 grs. 72 grains showed the most promise vel 3075 fps. Will tweak seating depth next.

Retumbo?

I'm at 71gr H1000 and going to investigate jumping it 0.080 a little more,

168 vld(hunting)
68.5grs. H1000
CCI250 primers
Hornady brass
Touching lands,coal 3.519 2958fps. 26" barrel, 1-10 twist.
This load shoots 1/4" groups at 100 and will shoot under 1/2moa all the way to 800yds that is the longest range I have shot so far

140 vld(hunting)
69grs H1000
215m primers
Hornady brass
.003 off lands coal 3.420 havent crono. this load yet at 100 yds it is shooting bug hole groups consistantly. Longest range to date has been 500 yds. Just under 3" including a pulled shot I called.

This rifle was built by Jay Cutright, Cutright Precision Rifles I had it specd. to shoot the 168' s but I am really impressed with the performance from the 140's so far.

Specs for rifle.
Rem.700 stainless action blue printed , trued bolt sako extractor,
Krieger 26" barrel #10 contour w/10 flutes, vias muzzel brake (I like to see where my bullets impact), H S Precision tactical stock.
Nightforce nxs5.5x22x56 with moar reticle. Looks good and shoots good IMHO.
Rick, Shoot Straight,Shoot Once.

I have spent many hours this spring working up a load for my Browning bbr in 7mm rem mag. I have settled on

CCI 250
Winchester Brass
h1000
Berger vld 168's

I shoot 5 shot groups only. 3 shot groups are b.s. to me. After extensively playing with the seating depth the load I have will do 7/8" all day long.

Next year I might try retumbo to see if I can improve things a bit. I would like to try rl22 but am afraid of the temperature sensitivity.

I have spent many hours this spring working up a load for my Browning bbr in 7mm rem mag. I have settled on

CCI 250
Winchester Brass
h1000
Berger vld 168's

I shoot 5 shot groups only. 3 shot groups are b.s. to me. After extensively playing with the seating depth the load I have will do 7/8" all day long.

Next year I might try retumbo to see if I can improve things a bit. I would like to try rl22 but am afraid of the temperature sensitivity.

I have tried both H1000 and RL22 with 168gr Barnes LRX in 7mm and the H1000 was more accurate by a long shot. I was also getting more velocity from the H1000 as well. Without looking at my data I dont recall the difference but I do remember it was significant.

noone has any favorite rounds with 7828 ssc?
Not yet.....I finally got 1 lb of it sitting on the bench to try. My local store finally got a shipment of powder in, and I saw some of that sitting on the shelf, figured I'd give it a try. I haven't loaded any yet.

I will say my 2 favorite calibers are 300 Win Mag, and the 7mm Rem Mag. They are so pleasant to shoot. I have a T/C Encore 7mm and 300 and also 2 Weatherbys in 7mm Mag.
I load the Sierra 140 SPT in Winchester brass, Fed LR primers, and 62.3 grs of IMR 4350. Not quite as steady as the years in the Army but still do good and have fun.gun)

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.